Tasmanian North West and West Coast Range regional Geology

Moderator: Philski

admin
Site Admin

Narrawa Creek

Postby admin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:21 pm

GOLD MINE, NARRAWA CREEK, MOINA

The mine is situated on the southern bank of Narrawa Creek
approximately two miles east of the old township of Moina. and 55km south of Devonport on the Devonport-Cradle Mountain Road.

HISTORY
Gold was first discovered in the area by T. Bessell and C. L.
Stewart in 1893. and it is estimated that 1000 OZS. of gold have been recovered since then. both by underground mining and surface sluicing methods. A. H. Higgs commenced mining in 1934. and production was continued intermittently until 1947. Since then the mine has been idle. The area has been known as .. Higgs' Mine" and " The Sunrise Mine"

The mine is located in the Moina Sandstone and this sandstone
is underlain by the Roland Conglomerate which outcrops on the hills to both the north and south of the mine workings. The major structure is therefore a broad syncline approximately one mile across. Within this syncline minor folding occurs and the mine is located on the southern limb of a subsidiary syncline. The sandstone and conglomerate are of Ordovician age, and to the east of the mine these rocks have been intruded by the Devonian Dolcoath Granite. This granite is the probable source of mineralisation, and it has also metamorphosed some of the more susceptible rocks in the area. The sandstone at the mine is changed to a meta-quartzite and bands of impure dolomitic material in the sandstone have been altered to a greenish skarn rock containing garnet, diopside and quartz. Minor faulting and shearing near the mine are also probably the result of the intrusion.

THE ORE BODIES
The old workings, which are mainly collapsed, consisted of two interconnected adit levels driven N.W.-S.E. in the main orebody. Stoping was started on the lower adit level and worked through the upper adit level to the surface. Three separate are bodies are known, two of which are narrow, with poor gold values and have not been worked. The major ore body is the most southerly one. This varies in width to ten feet and has been stoped over a length of 50 feet on the lower level increasing to a length of 150 feet at surface. This increase in stope length, together with higher assay values. in the upper levels indicates a very shallow zone of surface enrichment. The ore occurs in an extensively crushed zone between two well marked shears. These shears have formed channels for the migration of the mineralizing fluids and the porous crushed metaquartzite between the shears has been the favourable site of deposition of the sulphide mineralisation. The most abundant sulphide present is pyrite. and minor amounts of galena, arsenopyrite and chalcopyrite also occur.

The flour gold is so tiny at narrawa Creek its grain size is smaller than a silk hankies weave under a microscope. you can still pan it, but you need to be slow and methodical.

There is also some wonderful Electrum in the area with blobs of gold shooting out of silver shafts. Again it is tiny and you need a microscope / loupe to see it properly. But still amazing.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Narrawa Creek

Postby admin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:23 am

Hi

The south side of the creek from the road crossing upstream is the richest area. Higgs Mine. There is a drill pad and mining camp right there too. so you may need to be cautious if they are working or let them you your about. Could be blasting etc. Richard Wolf is the last person i know alive to work the Higgs mine.

There are some amazing reports on the area from torque mining today. They spent months covering the area with methodically sampling and 3d-IP for a host of minerals, precious metals and rare earths. Magentics, conductivity etc.
http://www.torquemining.com.au/projects/

a spin off of Frontier resources. They also have tenements at Balfour and the Southern West Coast Range

i met them at Gowrie park when they first started grid cutting Stormont a few years ago getting ready for the Induced polerization stips to get layed down. They have other reports that are easy to read and precise and worth Googling for the mapping. or MRT should have a few too.

The gold is the finest ive encountered. flour grain size. But its there. And looks amazing under a microscope. Same side of the creek and down a hundred and fifty yards or so in the trenches there is Beryllium crystal and i bet some aquamarine close by too. Stacks of Wolframite up at all nations. Topaz at the front Quarry. The miners where after Tin and gold, Bismuth, molybdenum and tungsten.

http://www.frontierresources.com.au/ass ... copy_1.pdf

only a hand full of mines in the area where prosperous to any extent. Higgs was one of them.