97%
I dont support Sluice Boxs
3%

Total votes: 30
admin
Site Admin

Tasmanian Prospecting Licence

Postby admin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:48 am

Tasmanian Prospecting Licence. The Rules and regulations In Tasmania for prospecting including all legislation covering the activity. The Acts and interpretations of the law. Land use and definitions. Anything someone in an agency or Department says or does has to comply with the Act. And, even more importantly our constitutional rights. And, they need to be punished if they fail us. However, It is rarely enforced here in Tasmania, and / or delivered hard enough to make them accountable and aware of there obligations. I guess the legal expense to pursue them, puts most people off. We have obligations and so do they.

The Prospecting Licence
The rules have changed recently, so please be aware of these. These rules are allowable under the act to be changed at any time by the Director of mines.

Prospecting Licences
Conditions relating to Prospecting Licences

A prospecting licence enables the holder to prospect on some lands which are subject to the Mineral Resources Development Act 1995

Prospecting on private property or existing mining leases, retention licences or exploration licences may only be conducted with the consent of the property owner or the holder of the mineral tenement.

Prospecting on land which is subject to an application for an exploration licence or a mining lease may only be conducted with the consent of both the applicant and the Director of Mines.

Prospecting is allowed on State Forest and Regional Reserves, and in some Conservation Areas.
Prospecting is not allowed in National Parks, Nature Reserves, Nature Recreation Areas, Historic Sites, Forest Reserves and in public and municipal reserves (tips, cemeteries, etc.).

Only hand prospecting for material is allowed and only hand-held tools may be used. The use of mechanical machinery or any explosives is prohibited. The use of sluices and trommels and motorised pumps is not permitted. The licence will be withdrawn from any person breaching this condition.
The use of suction dredges is illegal in Tasmania.

Prospectors are to conduct operations in a manner as not to cause or aggravate soil erosion.
Excavation on any natural stream bank is not permitted. Banks must not be undermined.
Prospecting in roadside gutters, or extraction from road embankments, is not permitted.

All care is to be taken in the prospecting of materials and any diggings shall be restored to normal surface level before leaving the area.

No vegetation is to be cut or removed.

Discovery of mineral and fossil specimens not recognised as common should be referred to Mineral Resources Tasmania.

No Aboriginal artefacts or site, or historic relics or site, are to be damaged or removed.

No speleothems (stalactites, etc.) are to be removed from caves whether these are previously broken or not. Removal of speleothems is an offence and offenders can be prosecuted.

Excavation in any sinkhole in a karst area or within 10 metres of the entrance of or within any cave is not permitted.

Vehicles are not to be taken off formed tracks.
No fires are to be lit.

Mineral Resources Tasmania
30 Gordons Hill Road
Rosny Park Tasmania
Telephone 03 6233 8377
Email: info@mrt.tas.gov.au

admin
Site Admin

Re: Tasmanian Prospecting Licence

Postby admin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:06 pm

One thing i noticed tonight is Victoria's miners rights. Do we have miners rights? Another story.

They are allowed a small sluice. why not us?

loverr

Postby loverr » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:36 am

I was talking to a guy when i was panning last week and he said we can have a sluice up to 91cm??

Philski

Postby Philski » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:52 pm

91 cm, = half a Fathom argggh!. That length would be enough room to drop a shovel full of dirt and have a few riffles. Would work but seriously, the licence stands. Our mining Act was published 30 years after we went metric, its a shame or i hope they dont / didnt follow suit and actually draft laws and not just convert to old school measurements, instead of follow or create worlds best practices. Because we are, and always have been a mining state. So we have the Talent, and historical evidence of world best practices and innovation. and Because the ones that can actually change stuff are a pack of negative bastards (back then :) ) Considering its a science field. If they did it today and they will have to now, some day. The optimum Sluice Box. What size is sold? like the 200 w pushbike motor that nobody in the world sells or ever did, so nobody can ride or wants. The committees and consultation and marketing and transport to events process would eat up all the funds to actually do anything tangible or real. we did it with several recent projects of state significance they screwed up hard. Not leaders, Not worth following.. And we would still be faced with not actually knowing the truth. In short you could ask every single department from bottom to top and nobody would know. And if they felt like they had been sprung not knowing, would then lie to look smart or right or whatever and, quote the title of an Act. Its only when you actually read all the Acts these twats recite a title of and the freedoms we as Citizens under the Commonwealth and our Constitution and UN charter of Human Rights and the issues of Rebellion and revolt and coup's to contain them, Like eureka only getting robbed harder today for your double fee. when people simply have had enough. If Rodney Chroom and Richard can get UN recognition and Justice. i consider my loss of heritage a far more tragic event.

my 2 cents.. Australia post send up to 110cm You could create an industry here easily and at no cost to Government. They would benefit from the innovation and revenue streams.

I have asked both parties about Prospecting on a different issue. Mr Green Responded to every contact. Adam Brooks didnt! his secretary sounded happy but confused. My next move is the united nations. The last time i wrote about getting permission in the WHA to use the name took 18 months for the reply. Im trying hard. but they just dont like me i guess. Perhaps someone with less "issues on the issue;; than me could talk some sense into them. Or approach them different than me. i know globally small scale prospecting is encouraged and rewarded and "under the United Nations" Historically Significant. They use it in low socio economic areas too. Like us.

jack

Postby jack » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:59 pm

Philski

Postby Philski » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:47 pm

Thanks Jack and Mick

its great to see something happening

im only concerned about the word pump. Highbanker / sluice perhaps> I dont think they ever will or ever have approved anything mechanical here. Unless it means a hand pump?

The petition firstly needs to be supported by an MLC. And presented by someone that has not signed it. And addressed to one of the houses. Upper or lower. You have to have your full name address etc, each person needs name, address and signature, etc. If it isnt, it simply wont get past the clerks. There are a few other things but its important to have it exactly as they want it, or it will be rejected.

http://www.parliament.tas.gov.au/EPetit ... ochure.pdf

acfish

Postby acfish » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Just put this up in another section, but here is a bit more appropriate,
shot a letter of to MRT, and i urge others to do the same,
copy of letter below
cheers,
Andrew

Hello,

Would you be able to provide some reasoning as to the restrictive conditions imposed on the Tasmanian prospectors licence.

I am specifically referring to the restrictions in the use of sluices, trommels and motorised pumps to move water.

1. Why does Tasmania see fit to restrict these devices, when they are legal to use in NSW and Victoria, both states which have many more active prospectors than Tasmania?

2. Can you provide me with evidence of misuse of these devices by prospectors in the past within Tasmania. (I am not referring to dredges which have documented history of misuse).

With the use of a shovel/pick, there is very much a limit to how much material a man can move.

3. Do you agree that as Australia has a rich history of prospecting, with much of the success and prosperity of the country we live in today as a result of prospectors finding gold. There should be provision for the amateur to engage in prospecting to an extent that fine gold can be collected using the above mentioned devises. Without their use only insignificant amounts of gold can be collected. Applying for a mining/exploration lease is beyond the scope of a hobby. Collection of gold has become the domain of large mining companies, not the people of Australia as it once was.

I look forward to your responses,

Regards,

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:32 pm

that's awesome and i encourage as many people as possible to make a stand right here in Tasmania in anyway they can. time is running out fast too, they are about to appease the minority again . I personally dont want or need mechanical devices here. But, noting ventured nothing gained.

One thing i noticed this week is The cover of MRT's Alluvial gold in Tasmania has a sluice box on it. Thats Criminal behaviour.. isnt it?

Philski

MRT (2015) Tasmanian Prospecting Licence

Postby Philski » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:40 am

Just to update the current Tasmanian prospecting licence requirements and inform some people its a maximum $14000 fine for most of the illegal activity, you could do prospecting, without a Prospecting Licence. per offence.

They should be free.

A prospecting licence allows the holder to conduct fossicking activities for rock and mineral specimens outside of the declared fossicking areas. These areas and activities are subject to the Mineral Resources Development Act 1995 . A prospecting licence is valid for 12 months from date of issue.

Application for Prospecting Licence

Conditions Relating to Prospecting Licences
Approval to Prospect within a Mineral Tenement

Where can I prospect?

Prospecting on private property may only be conducted with the consent of the property owner. Property boundary information can be found at The LIST.
Prospecting existing mining leases, retention licences or exploration licences may only be conducted with the consent of the holder of the mineral tenement. Tenement boundary information is available here.
Prospecting on land which is subject to an application for an exploration licence or a mining lease may only be conducted with the consent of both the applicant and the Director of Mines. Tenement boundary
Prospecting is allowed on State Forest and Regional Reserves, and in some Conservation Areas.
Prospecting is not allowed in National Parks, Nature Reserves, Nature Recreation Areas, Historic Sites, Forest Reserves and in public and municipal reserves (tips, cemeteries, etc.).

What prospecting tools are permitted?

Only hand prospecting for material is allowed and only hand-held tools may be used. The use of mechanical machinery or any explosives is prohibited. The use of sluices and trommels and motorised pumps is not permitted. The licence will be withdrawn from any person breaching this condition.
The use of suction dredges is illegal in Tasmania.

What rules apply to site excavations?

Prospectors are to conduct operations in a manner as not to cause or aggravate soil erosion
Excavation on any natural stream bank is not permitted. Banks must not be undermined.
Prospecting in roadside gutters, or extraction from road embankments, is not permitted.
All care is to be taken in the prospecting of materials and any diggings shall be restored to normal surface level before leaving the area.
Excavation in any sinkhole in a karst area or within 10 metres of the entrance of or within any cave is not permitted.
What other rules apply?

No vegetation is to be cut or removed.

Discovery of mineral and fossil specimens not recognised as common should be referred to Mineral Resources Tasmania.
No Aboriginal artefacts or site, or historic relics or site, are to be damaged or removed.
No speleothems (stalactites, etc.) are to be removed from caves whether these are previously broken or not. Removal of speleothems is an offence and offenders can be prosecuted.
Vehicles are not to be taken off formed tracks.
No fires are to be lit.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:03 am

Hi Phil,

The rules on the website are old. The ones in the actual printed licences have been updated, and now say:
"The use of motorised sluices, trommels and pumps is not permitted", which means river sluices are officially OK. Highbankers are still a grey area.

I have written a letter to the Registrar of Mines to clarify the issues about reserve types, such as Conservation Areas and NRAs, which allow mining and exploration, but not prospecting.

Also keep in mind that if you have permission from the holder of a mineral exploration licence to prospect in their land, you're also covered by their rules, and technically don't need a prospecting licence at all.

Here are the current conditions as printed on the licence:
Licence Conditions 2015.jpg
Licence Conditions 2015.jpg (641.85 KiB) Viewed 740 times