FAP Tasmanian Fossicking and Prospecting Association

Rules and regulations In Tasmania for prospecting

Moderator: Philski

townend66

Re: FAP Tasmanian Fossicking and Prospecting Association

Postby townend66 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:40 pm

Hi, I just had a look at the PMAV website. Great site with lots of info. They have been around since 1980 so the knowledge they could provide in dealing with gov departments would be very helpful. Would linking to the PMAV mean we just become members of the PMAV and run as a sub branch? Andy

Philski

Postby Philski » Mon May 11, 2015 11:01 pm

HI Andy, thats a really great point, I broached the subject of becoming a sub branch with them in the past as well. And to talk about these kind of issues amongst ourselves, is the ideal way forward. I'm honestly not sure? I would be happy with whatever scenario, gives us the most advantage or gain the fastest. I would be happy to be part of PMAV. But we could also lose our own unique identity down here and we do have challenges and needs other states don't. Anyway we go, we have their support, and that is paramount in my mind. To have the largest association of its kind in this country behind us. And they have already done many things to improve our position in Tasmania, without anyone asking of them. Perhaps a two pronged attack may be a far better proposition. The main benefit i can see is streamlining policy and guidelines and using their channels to government.

Us simply talking about it and the possible outcomes at the end of the day, is what will work best for us. A separate association etc. I guess if i wanted to contact PMAV, i would not contact a sub branch.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Tue May 12, 2015 11:18 am

I can imagine that we might have an advantage as a stand-alone Tasmanian association, in terms of having the moral claim to represent Tasmanian prospectors. Do you think PMAV would be happy to let us use them, their constitution and their rules as a model, perhaps? As to the name, and including miners, I think it's much of a muchness. If you include miners (small & large scale), you may piss off some people of a more environmental slant, though I'm not sure they'd be a significant number. We could also come up against situations where our aims conflict. On the other hand they have serious clout with the Government.
I think this is all stuff we can put together in a document for discussion. I am happy to organise and host a meeting in the Hobart area to go over all this, and I'll be up north probably the weekend after next (24-25), if anyone wants to do the same up there.

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue May 12, 2015 3:51 pm

I agree Miguel, Victoria as a State, and a very beautiful one, as well. Have many different needs and somewhat differing outcomes to us. And the importance and our need to protect our unique environment its so important to many people, including myself. I spend most of my time on old historical workings. There is only remnant natural left as such. However, even there, i try and help where i can. weed control. filling holes and shallow shafts, taking lead out of the ground and other sharps. I would be a better scrap metal finder or florist than a gold prospector. And without us doing it, down stream is simply more polluted than it would have been without us, for longer. PMAV have now run many really cool clean up days right across Victoria, because of prospectors. And to show we are not a pack of environmental hoons. And the benefit is cleaner ground to detect on and safer ground water to drink and use. everyone wins,, i can not understand why there should be a problem with it.

PMAV simply suggested including miners in the mix down here for the economic aspect and base. They typically cover, small scale 5 hectares lease holders and small scale prospectors trying to grow into a full fledged business. WA's amalgamated prospectors and leaseholders association are the second largest prospecting association in the country http://www.apla.com.au but obviously both states above have vast mineral deposits including gold, and we simply dont.

WA combined many small prospecting and mineral associations not getting a fair hearing at the time. To become one big one.

There are benefits in what ever direction we take, but personally having a day to reflect. Tasmania is a separate island and the last time Tasmania tried to combine with the mainland. We shifted the East coast of the continent somewhat. :lol:

cygnet-jim

Postby cygnet-jim » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:31 am

Philski and Miguel, count me in. I would be honoured to be a member of PMAT, TFPA or whatever the name becomes. The current rules/guidelines/legislation from MRT are very vague and confusing and to be honest, I think they are designed to deter the few of us who like to play in creeks without a rod. Whilst I would likely be against the kind of "small" scale sluicing operations we see in Klondike and other TV series, at the end of the day we are removing an insignificant fragment of material and merely turning the ground over. I have been to historical alluvial gold sites and there is little to suggest anyone had ever been there. I also find it amusing that this state holds sacred it's trout fisheries and salmon production yet wages war against carp. Blackberries are invasive yet Apples are... Enough rambling. James

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:49 am

Thanks James,

If anyone is interested, you can get in touch with me through the blog or at appleisleprospector at gmail dot com. There are enough of us to get started. I added details on the proposed documents here.
I'm happy to coordinate an email list of people interested, so if you want to be in, send me your email. When we set a date for the meeting, we can promote it here, and I can add plugs at a few other forums, my blog, and my Facebook page.

Miguel