FAP Tasmanian Fossicking and Prospecting Association

Rules and regulations In Tasmania for prospecting

Moderator: Philski

Philski

FAP Tasmanian Fossicking and Prospecting Association

Postby Philski » Wed May 06, 2015 1:54 am

Hi all

This has been bantered about for a quite a few years now. Too long.. Its been so many years since we have had a real Fossicking and prospecting Association in Tasmania. And its open to anyone and everyone with a passion for fossicking and prospecting and our states minerals. And, at the moment, any help, is very much needed. To have a legal entity, that can offer rational debate, insight and collective thought instead of being railroaded by people that don't understand.

It takes 4 people to start one. Simple as that, FOUR PEOPLE is all,, A treasure, secretary, president and VP or similar. 3 directors and a secretary is all they ask for. Its a vote every year, an audit, and i propose $1 membership or 1 cent if you cant afford it. 1 cent..(prefer 1968)..and the chance to be an inaugural member. policies etc.. to get it going.
and, a free sticker..... or something..

This has to be done. And will be. What if,, (hypothetical),, some muppet bans or proposes to ban metal detectors next? They are not even in the Act and run on that old fashioned DC electrickery, so must be bad. So they could, they obviously dont understand it or what they do. So they could say its old technology that runs it. And must be non green because of it or perhaps its something destructive or some such biased hippy shit magical instrument of the devil. And if nobody dares stands up against their misguided opinion. guess what..

Anyway, i can only ask, its your chance to have a say, And it can make a positive difference to recreational prospecting and fossicking in Tasmania.

i dont give a shit if im on the board or not, it not an ego thing or notoriety or anything else. im personally 100% behind it is all. And thats all it needs to get going. People like you and me and a few others to say yes, and have a Go..

its close, but we honestly need more people to say yes

have a nice day.
Phillip Kemp

mfdes

Re: FAP Tasmanian Fossicking and Prospecting Association

Postby mfdes » Wed May 06, 2015 11:06 am

Hi Phil,

I'm in 100%. The way I see it, misinformation and laziness from regulators could easily cost us dearly in terms of what rights we have and what we can and cannot do, and possibly soon. Your metal detector example is spot-on.

I think NAPFA charge $20, and PMAV charge $50. We're probably not looking at producing a publication like PMAV, but there will still be costs involved, such as posting AGM notices, etc. We will probably want to have a website as well, since educating and informing people should probably be a main goal, which will carry some ongoing costs. We may have office bearers in northern and southern, possibly western Tasmania, and travel will be needed... I think we should probably be looking at something more useful like $10 or $20? Not sure whether this would be a significant cost to some people, though.

Name suggestions:
  • Your suggestion
  • Tasmanian Fossickers and Prospectors Association — TFPA or TPFA
  • Prospectors and Fossickers Association of Tasmania — PAFAT or PFAT or FAPAT or FPAT

Philski

Postby Philski » Wed May 06, 2015 2:53 pm

HI awesome,, we are half way there! is anyone else interested?

Any name thats easy to remember and relevent would do. And, you are right about finances, obligations and fees, etc.

i also purchased a Victorian permit last night for $17.50 and got 10 years! $1.75 a year. online in a min or so. The licence was emailed to me...and, i was shocked at how easy to understand and simple the conditions are in Victoria and EVERY "other" Australian State and Territory.

Two more people is all it takes to get this going.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Wed May 06, 2015 3:59 pm

I agree, I was the same. At that price, and with clear rules, why wouldn't you have one?

I think we should probably get in contact with office bearers of lapidary and mineral clubs to test the waters too. I'll get started down south.

itassie

Postby itassie » Wed May 06, 2015 4:54 pm

I will be in, and yes our licence should be more inline with the other states and territories in price and conditions and be easily available online so anyone can obtain a licence if they require on short notice.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Wed May 06, 2015 6:29 pm

The fundamental difference between a Victorian and Tasmanian licence is that you want to get a Victorian licence just in case you need to use it.
The Tasmanian licence, on the other hand, is confusing, restrictive, logistically hard to obtain and often illogical. To the extent that you just wonder whether you need one in the first place, and start to ponder whether you're not better off saving yourself the money to pay for a possible future fine, if ever you get caught. Just to be clear I'm not advocating breaking the law, just illustrating the problem.

Philski

Postby Philski » Thu May 07, 2015 11:27 pm

HI all

We need one more person to start this association to protect everyone's rights in this state. THE Exact same ethos as PMAV, APLA etc etc, and other international associations. And they will be behind us 100% of the way. Membership, Code of ethics, Policy and the ability to actually go forward is down to one single person... simply saying yes. I have never been on a board or had any involvement in any kind of association, other than the one we enjoy socially and recreationally. one more person is all it will take to get going. and the longer it takes the easer it is for the powers that be to fuck us over with the impunity they currently enjoy. four of us, with 20000 Australian behind us.

Once the board is in place and relevent approvals go though etc. we can all start to benefit everyone immediately, But if your not on or not interested and eventually lose the right to prospect at all in Tasmania, Let me know and I will post you a box of kleenex.

Think im full of shit or its a game? the highly prospective Arthur Pieman conservation area overlaps a huge nature reserve to the East and further East Savage River National Park, nobody you ever met has been to without a helicopter or government help. A conservative 10% of the State is OFF LIMITS to us in the "Tarkine", as of today, RIGHT NOW. just in the NW of the state, Then the WHA, then every single minor island is gone. Not will, has already.. You can go gang busters in a 4x4 in the same area first mentioned. Its even encouraged. With maps from Parks,, but not us.. simply scratching around on the surface and filling our holes.

ONE MORE PERSON IS ALL IT TAKES TO GET GOING, ON CLAWING SOME BACK. Or standing some ground. It could be you..

260 members on here and a couple of days gone. the silence is deafening. i guess nobody wants to help.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Thu May 07, 2015 11:32 pm

Hi Phil, I'm going to the Lapidary Club on Tuesday, and will feel the waters.

I have an idea or two of people down here that may be interested. We need to have a constituting meeting where we sit down in person, and take minutes, agreeing to associate and adopt a constitution. I'll be up north possibly this weekend, definitely in the next couple otherwise.

Cheers,

Miguel

Philski

Postby Philski » Thu May 07, 2015 11:37 pm

Thanks MIguel

The weather is supposed to be pretty wet everyday for the next week and im happy to Drive to Hobart, walk if i have to. So we can all get together to get this done. its been rain, snow, hail and winds over here the last few days and i will be lucky to get over Cradle to get to Launceston for Saturday, but will try. It also gives me the chance to check out the geothermal surface anomaly i found last time it snowed up there. so im probably the only person in Queenstown that is happy with the weather at the moment. The Police told me not to try tonight. and Arrowsmith is out as well

as for other states NT and SA and NSW, its FREE, but you only get to fossick for minerals. we have free fossick areas. However you can take out a simple mining lease in the NT for under $200 and no red tape. With a smaller population than here so no excuses of a broke government and needing to., And im happy to pay to prospect for the extra rights my paid for Tasmanian prospecting licence entails. QLD pipped us in price last year and this years fees are designed to crush the little guys out of the game. They did the same thing in NSW with opal and destroyed and over regulated the opal industry so much, that cracky Ethiopian opal is worth more today than good solid opal. How thats a benefit to anyone in this country, including our mines departments is beyond me.

have a great night
Phillip

RIP Loftus Hills..

Fox

Postby Fox » Sat May 09, 2015 8:53 am

Hi Phil, I would like to be part of the new Tas Prospectors and Fossickers Association but any active involvement will have to wait a few months until I return from my Mainland trip.
I hope you manage to get the required number of interested people. We certainly need to have a voice to protect our rights.
Best of luck.
Cheers, Fox