Raised penalty units and prospecting licences

Rules and regulations In Tasmania for prospecting

Moderator: Philski

mfdes

Raised penalty units and prospecting licences

Postby mfdes » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I just noticed that the latest Government Gazette has raised penalty units to $154 each. I'm not sure what they were before, but have a look at how much you'd pay for the following offences:

• Prospecting without a licence (100 penalty units) = $15,400
  • Mining without a lease (500 penalty units) = $77,000
  • Exploration without a licence (100 penalty units) = $15,400

As far as I know they can also confiscate your gear. If you're swinging a top-of-the-range metal detector, that would put you out of pocket an extra 5-10K.
I'm still not happy about the blurred lines in the regulations and the law between prospecting and exploration, and the lack of information about what constitutes mining without a lease. Other states have this much better clarified, with clear rules on what you're allowed to take with your prospecting licence.

There's a bit of info in my latest blog post on the differences between prospecting and fossicking.

Is anyone in Hobart keen on having a meeting to organise an Association? I'm happy to organise it.

acfish

Re: Raised penalty units and prospecting licences

Postby acfish » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:48 pm

Pretty outrageous, Once again, we are over regulated and under policed.
Keep me posted on any meetings, ill pm me email address to you.
cheers,
Andrew

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:04 am

an Arial survey without permission over Tasmania is 500 penalty units. NASA are conducting geological aerial surveys over this state.

im doing a project with NASA at the moment. Have been for over a year now, World class science right above Tasmania. its no different to me looking at magnetic maps from ga mrt or any other source. An interesting scenario. Am i a criminal now?
Does every satellite that passes our state need permission? and where would these permissions be?

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:51 am

There's not even a definition of what constitutes an aerial geophysical survey for the purposes of the Act.

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:53 pm

its interesting. Many people today are actively looking for minerals and geological indicators all over the planet. Others are looking for hydrocarbons from space with outstanding success. Another issue is drones UAV's . Anyone can do a course and get a licence from the federal aviation authority, to do geological survey. Making our 20 year old act outdated by technological advances? Or at least inconsistent with Commonwealth legislation. New methods that are in reality far more environmentally passive than any traditional method set out in the current exploration code of practice. Some small scale prospectors use drones to find the safest way into an area and are not looking for minerals or anything even like it.

i also remember seeing people on the beach taking rocks and shells home and digging holes all over the beach. And some hippies with feathers in their hair, from a protected native avian species. And some child actually threw some rocks into the sea! altering its geological time line a considerable distance into the future, Crazy, i told them to stop and leave the area or i would preform a citizens arrest on them and told the 6 year old to stop looking at me funny, He obviously did not understand the severity of the issues mrt have to deal with daily. Or the ramifications of our legislation's and regulations, if they are taken in context. Our beaches that have been dug and played on for so many years and are still here. Thanks to regulations. That i presume cover all groups of people in this state.

I totally agree we need rules and the need for method of enforcement and deterrents. You have put me off,, so job done, But fail to see how this will be ever achieved if you feel like a criminal poking about in the bush even with a licence and all possible approvals. While actually trying to do the right thing. im not alone in this feeling either. Its sometimes goes a tad too far.

no fires to be lit! to anyone camping / prospecting this week perhaps in a RV friendly town or camp site or BBQ area. leave the detector at home and take some sushi (im sure this is more about firing and cracking quarts reefs than keeping warm) why cant it be expressed like that? If im lost and the only way i can signal a search craft is with fire, is that not a duty of care issue gone wrong and clearly in print.

Designated fossicking areas. i have enough shed space to improve my collection considerably. Other states have limits, food for thought.

Our licence and regulations need improvement in many areas, It needs to be clearly written and understandable. And not so prohibitive, it becomes impossible to comply. Every other state in this country has address this well.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Here's another curly one: Metal detectors.
The law is completely silent about them. Are they 'hand-held' tools, and therefore allowed for prospecting? Or when you use them, are you instead carrying out a form of aerial geophysical survey and exposed to a $77,000 fine?

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:59 pm

HI Miguel, im looking above the surface of the earth. Above the land. in the atmosphere, not at it,

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:33 am

Yours would be space based. There is no air up there and therefore it can't be aerial ;-)

Philski

Postby Philski » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:03 am

Another scenario depending on how its interpreted and by whom,, The last time i flew into Tasmania a few months ago. We flew over the Den Ranges into Launceston and i was looking at the mines at Back Creek and Lefroy. Mount Authur, etc. looking for structural geological changes, past working etc,, It was a beautiful day. all the way out to the Blue tier. That was an aerial Survey, yes? looking at our geology and landscape. There where another 100+ people on the plane doing the exact same sort of thing.. so 100 X $77000 = AU$7,700000 per plane load per day.. then we get say 20 plane loads a day,, 350 million a day in revenue!

Perhaps just my humble pinion. magnetic or gravity survey without permission, would be easier to understand, and not so all inclusive and impossible to decipher in any kind of logical fashion, without the need for the totalitarian blanket coverage. And would help negate the negative view and confusion it encourages. this is a legislative problem. and i guess MRT have to deal with it as best they can given the wording at the time. Could a metal detector coil swinging though the air also be considered aerial?

Thou shalt not ...* (Everything Conceivable) is not possible to work with.

All i want is something i can understand and apply in a logical fashion. Or a definition to work off with terminology that is reflective of the subject matter.