• Tasmanian Prospecting
    Tasmanian Prospecting Forum
Change font size
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:48 pm
Select variation:

Famous Tasmanian Prospectors

Charles Sprent

Famous Tasmanian Prospectors, Explorers and Track Cutters

Moderator: Philski

by admin » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:04 pm

Charles Percy Sprent, only surviving son or James Sprent opened up a wild and remote part of Tasmania, its actions ensured our prosperity to this day. He created the tracks (using fire and axe) and Maps and way in for the later power prospectors like George and Owen Meredith, Frank Long, T.B Moore and Charles Donnelly to follow his Trigonometrical Survey tracks and open up the North West to peg Heemskirk and Mt Donaldson, Corinna, Long Plains, etc, and entice hundreds of others to follow.

This is an area i prospect in and appreciate and respect the physical and mental strength these guys must have had. Its immensely hard going in places and terrifying in others and thats with modern clothing and modern tools. The Horizontal Scrub is still there to contend and dark fast flowing rivers. other than that,,, its just beautiful.

in 1884, at the age of 35, Charles Percy Sprent was appointed Deputy Surveyor-General, he died from typhoid. Mount Sprent was later named after him. The Town Sprent after his Father

Sprent was the first to identify Osmiridium in the Wilson River Valley and the Iron Ore of Savage River whilst Government Surveyor. Others may have gone before him, But he actually found quite a lot of valuable minerals on the way.
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:35 am
Location: TASMANIA

by Philski » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:42 pm

I read a while ago down the West coast. Frank Long was actually with Sprent on his expeditions. Frank long later returned as a prospector and opened up quite a bit of rich ground at "Long Plains" and Brown plains etc

(1844–1908), prospector and track-cutter, discovered the Zeehan-Dundas silver-lead field in 1882. Born in Launceston, the son of ex-convicts, he grew up at Campbell Town. Red-headed, freckled, Long was one of Tasmania's hardiest bushmen until rheumatism and alcoholism set in. As a youth he dug for gold at Castlemaine and in New Zealand. In 1876 he joined Charles Sprent's Mount Heemskirk expedition, which cleaved the west coast open to prospectors. Rewarded with shares for his Zeehan find, Long sold them for £600 and probably drank the money away. In his declining years the state government awarded him an annuity. The lasting significance of his discovery was Tasmania's economic stimulus when the Broken Hill Proprietary Limited 'brains trust', arriving to inspect Zeehan, developed the far more valuable Mount Lyell copper mine instead. taken from utas

Not trying to get away from Charles Sprent. Without his efforts. This would not have happened as soon as it did.
User avatar
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:21 pm
Location: Sheffield Tasmania

by admin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Tuesday 21 June 1887 (Launceston Examiner)
The sad intelligence reached Launceston yesterday afternoon from Hobart that HIr. C. P. Sprent, the head of the Lands Office, had fallen a victim to the epidemic of typhoid which hls lately filled so many homes at the capital with mourning. Mr.Sprent was reported some days ago to be in a critical state, and succumbed shortly before two o'clock yesterday afternoon. Our Hobart correspondent informs us that the deceased gentleman was the only surviving son of the late Mr.James Sprout, Surveyor-General of Tasmania, and compiler in 1859 of the first complete map of Tasmania, dedicated to his Excellency Sir H. E. Fox Young and the Parliament of Tasmania. Mr. C. P. Sprent was educated at the High School, Hobart, and took a degree. He studied surveying under Mr. R. Hall, district Surveyor for Devon, and then returned to the Government Office and resumed his studies. He was appointed District surveyor for Wellington in 1871, being their during the important mineral discoveries of the West Coast, and took part in several surveys, being largely instrumental in getting that part of the colony opened up. Heledaforlorn hope from Mount
Bischoff to Mount Heemskirk, which he was successful in reaching, after' undergoing very severe privations. He was a fellow of the Geographical Society of Australia; and an able geologist, contributing many papers to the Royal Society's meetings at Hobart. He was promoted to
be' Deputy-Surveyor-General and Deputy Comimissioner of Crown Lauds on 1st January, 1883, on the retirement of the late Mr. H. J. Hall. He married a liss Rudge, who survives him, and leaves five children. The deceased was very widely beloved for his amiable personal qualities, and was an intimate friend of three of the present Ministry. The following appears in the Gazelle : "The Minister of Lands and Works takes the earliest opportunity of expressing, on behalf of the Government, their keen sense of the loss they and the public have sustained in the death of Mr. C. P. Sprent, Deputy-Commissioner of Crown Lands and Deputy-Surveyor-General of Tasmania. Mr. Sprent brought to his official duties not only eminent ability but such earnestness and honesty of purpose as made him an invaluable officer, whom it will be difficult to replace. Mr. Sprent's devotion to duty, his departmental experience, his willingness, and his unfailing amiability, have been thoroughly appreciated by the Minister with whom he has worked during the last two months, and who now attempts to place upon record his heartfelt regret at the early death of so tried, so faithful, and so able a servant of the State."
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:35 am
Location: TASMANIA

Return to Famous Tasmanian Prospectors


User Menu


Prospectors and Miners Association Of Tasmania
Sheffield Rifle Club