Remote sensing

Prospecting for other economic minerals in situ

Moderator: Philski

Philski

Remote sensing

Postby Philski » Sun May 28, 2017 11:14 pm

i guess most people know about major mining and exploration companies using an array of sensor based tools to locate ore bodies and oil reserves. magnetometers, Induced polarization, natural and induced background noise, drones, gamma-ray spectrometry etc. Metal detectors even.

I was lucky enough to start using some sensing data from a low earth orbit satellite a few years ago (NASA) to detect a geothermal surface anomaly i came across in a foot of snow here in Tasmania. To detects its strike and limits and temperature etc. They gladly agreed. I also thought at the time it would also be possible to locate other major ore bodies and mineral fields globally using chemical signatures via onboard and onground sensors to detect them after transpiration. Breaking the ore up into its chemical components or elements. Initially using drones with sensors on them. But. found a better way.

This is an example of an existing overlay of our atmosphere that was taken today, i used it to find emissions from volcanically hosted massive sulphide deposits (VHMS). The largest VHMS deposits in Australia are easily seen and found, Mt Isa, Cannington, Olympic Dam, Rosebery. A whole host of others. As well as New Guineas massive Ok Tedi. It is the same process going on all around the world and picks up on many mining provinces in many countries. The image below is just to give and idea on how it looks, up close its more complicated to see it properly. Its like looking at the sun with a microscope. ;) i don't have all the keys yet. But will if i keep at it. i can see any part of the world, any time of the day and see whats going on in seconds.

There is also scope for gold exploration. But, for the moment, i just thought i would share an easy way to find an ore body.

Its passive, simple and one of the most effective initial scope out prospecting tools i've ever experienced. The other anomalies on the map are major cities. Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart... The only anomaly i can find straight away is Sulawesi isnt emitting like it should today.

Our own West Coast Range is visibly emitting with the hot spots on known VHMS reserves.
remote-area-sensing.png

Philski

Re: Remote sensing

Postby Philski » Tue May 30, 2017 2:56 am

There was a 6.6 magnitude earthquake on Sulawesi a couple of hours after i posted the above yesterday?
"The only anomaly i can find straight away is Sulawesi isnt emitting like it should today."
im not sure if its related? But will map a few other active areas, Including Sulawesi and wait till the next one hits.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/05/3 ... s-sulawesi

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue May 30, 2017 6:32 pm

i just searched the US coast guards Earthquake monitoring service https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/ and viewed the most recent earthquakes and overlaid it with some chem data and bingo. The image below is on the Karakorum Mountain range north of the Himalayan mountains on a major fold environment towards the Kush. It has a tiny human habitation or no industry for miles. This chem spot is being emitted directly from the Earth. It also correlates to most recent tectonic activity. I surmise its because the subduction zone is under such immense pressure and is literally squeezing the chemicals out of it though friction and pressure. it also correlates to todays quakes in Hawaii and the Solomon Islands and every other location around the world i looked at. It could potentially be used as a tool to predict earthquakes? Im not sure if they even use tools like this yet in tectonics? Perhaps they already do. I know they do groundwater geochemistry as a predictive tool on iceland for earthquakes. Anyway, i will spend this week compiling more data and send the results to geoscience Australia if i get anything conclusive. i also need to looks at global subduction zone mapping and overlay that data too. Ring of fire is an obvious one. It may take several months or even years for the emissions to slow or stop. I wont know till i look at it over time. And what relationship the gases have to tectonics

The plume on Sulawesi is there in the image too, just blowing north and just out of picture, Its the same location of their earthquake and resultant aftershocks.

have a great night
Phillip

quake-india.png

quake-india-chem.png

Philski

Postby Philski » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:12 am

Im on to a real thing here. This quake happened tonight. AND, flip en heck. i landed in sight of the epicentral. In the Atacama, South America! How cool is that. They will hopefully update the epicenter as more signals come in, so may be even closer to the mark.

The Pacana Caldera is just south of there

I did this test blind, Because i wanted to see how accurate it was without looking at the location first. This is post quake of course and the horse has already bolted. But, if it helps me build up a set of keys and identifiers to hopefully understand the the event before it pun ,, (unfolds). all the better.

I also tried a new atmospheric tool today and learned a bit more about spectrography and actually landed on a couple of medium sized gold mines in really obscure remote places i had never ever heard of. Right on top of the mines themselves. Im running a couple different chemical tools here, one for the mines and one for the Earthquakes

Epicentre
Atacama-quake.png

landed here
Atacama-chem.png

Geology of the area
Atacama-geology.png