Biogeochemical Prospecting with a UAV Drone

Prospecting for other economic minerals in situ

Moderator: Philski

Philski

Biogeochemical Prospecting with a UAV Drone

Postby Philski » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi

im well into my physics unit now and its pretty awesome. Very strict, but you get that, and the other geo unit is delving into astrophysics and some outstanding knowledge on the modern take on it all. Its so much to learn, And, its happening so fast. Anyway.. Its very cool and im really enjoying it.

I'm trying to implement what i have learned at Uni so far into developing some unique prospecting tools that are both passive to the environment and productive in there quest for minerals and enjoyable to use. And, something that's not ever been done before. Eco Prospecting in a Tasmanian, way sort of thing.
21 century Eco-Cobber

My first attempt is something i think will be prefect to cover huge unexplored areas here in Tasmania. A high performance Drone - UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) with a variety of on-board sensors and sonar that will fly at set altitude "autonomously" above the treetops and detect mineralization via the Transpiration of the evolved natural gasses thought the biosphere. My first target is our Volcanic Hosted Massive Sulfides (VHMS) that predominates the Tasmanian West Coast Range and Zeehan Belt. And, i have enough Prospecting permissions in place to cover a very substantial area.

How does it work?

its, biogeochemical, it uses plants, The Earth and Chemistry and lots of physics. I do Chemistry units later on this year. So should be able to predict better then. And i still need to do some field Biology to see what plants do to the sulfide and which ones do it best.

The first type Sulfide im targeting has some unique property when its a gas that evolves when it comes in contact with water and becomes Hydrogen Sulfide. And H2S has properties that make the speed of speed of sound in air slow considerably. if i pulse a frequency the variations in return should indicate a mineral occurrence. There are many factors that govern it and most are complicated or i can just go buy a digital H2S sensor in <1 PPB map the lot and be done with it.
csm_01-project-survering_dfeeb678ba.jpg
https://www.sensefly.com/user-cases/10-mining.html
csm_01-project-survering_dfeeb678ba.jpg (44.5 KiB) Viewed 522 times

Photo: http://www.Sensefly.com
SenseFly have a range of autonomous mapping, imagery and positioning tools already in place. The other bonus is the Australian Civil aviation Authority have strict guidelines on what you can stick up in the air and this complies with height weight etc.

Our major streams and catchments have already been hand tested. So, i dont expect to find anything Pasminco / Lyell Co / Zinafex, etc. missed. But still worth a shot.

I guess not a lot of people would really care about this sort of stuff, but i think its important. And, I get to show it to some industry leaders in Hobart this month. So, hopefully i can make a change.

have a great day
Phillip