Smoky quartz around South Mount Cameron

Welcome

Moderator: Philski

jockster

Smoky quartz around South Mount Cameron

Postby jockster » Fri May 26, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and enjoying reading your posts, some great experiences being shared here! My question is, does anyone have any tips regarding fossicking for smoky quartz around the South Mount Cameron area?

I'm happy to purchase a prospector's licence to look at areas other than the designated one near Ah Kaw Creek, but not sure what ground is available or what to look for...

I was involved in a couple of alluvial tin mining operations in the late 70s/early 80s, at the Cascade river Derby and on the Blue Tier, but I've forgotten more than I remember :roll: I just love smoky quartz and it would be great to find some!

Cheers Jim.

blisters

Re: Smoky quartz around South Mount Cameron

Postby blisters » Sat May 27, 2017 11:12 am

Hi jim. The wife and i have had a bit of a look around the south mount cameron/ gladstone area for the smokeys. We have found a few and one of my sons and his mates came back some nice clear sizable ones a while back. Some of their 'friends of friends' who live around that area recon that they go specking for them up on mt cameron itself, sunny days they say, and they really stick out black and shiny, on the way up to cube rock, which can be accessed by the first dirt road on the left heading for gladstone from south mount cameron, just keep bearing left after you leave the main road till you get to the end and start hiking up from there.
I havnt been up there yet but would be a great view of the surrounding n/e tassie from up there and would be a more manageable climb this time of the year being a bit cooler!
Incidently, that group of 'friends of friends' of my son say that their is a cave on the way up to cube rock that has massive amethysts in it, and any one would need a wheel barrow to move them, or in my case maybe a small helicopter!

Cheers, Stu..

jockster

Postby jockster » Sat May 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks Stu, much appreciated. Angie and I will head up there as soon as we get some time off work, will post anything we happen to find :-)

blisters

Postby blisters » Sun May 28, 2017 11:05 am

I've sent you a p m jim.