Rocky River Road - working bee

Gold gem and treasure Prospecting trips in and around Tasmania.

Moderator: Philski

Philski

Rocky River Road - working bee

Postby Philski » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:26 pm

HI

Fox and others have suggested a trip to the rocky river to repair the road from Browns Plains down to the Whyte river. I spoke to the senior geologist at Bass Metals about permissions on the tenement. And if they where doing any further drilling this summer in the area and he said yes to prospecting and they are not doing any drilling etc next year. I just asked in case we fixed up the road and a week later they came in with machinery to do it. It would be a waste of time for us.

The road is worse than last time i visited and from images i saw Fox had, the last time he went down there. Its in pretty bad and dangerous condition now.

I would imagine it would take one person a week to do. Its not overgrown or anything only sections of the road itself that are bad and could be improved easily i think. There is one corner a long wheel base vehicle would have trouble getting around and will need addressing. But the rest is just filling in pot holes and the like. There is loads of base B gravel up top to use so will need a ute or similar. There should be enough rock fill available around the holes anyway, But a decent job would save it being done again for another 20 years or so.

I guess we all have a shovel and other hand tools. Picks, crowbars, rakes etc. It may even be worth hiring a whacker-packer to finish or a roller etc.

im not sure on a date? Perhaps October or November when the winter rains stop. But, the ground is still wet enough and easy to dig?

Or if anyone is in the area and just wanted to throw a shovel full in a hole. We could chip away at it.

im happy to offer any help i can to anyone that wants to spend a day or more down there to get it done and at any time. I just thought in a few months we have time to plan it.

perhaps while we are there we could re divert the Whyte river through the tunnel and clean it up properly.. :)

Fox

Re: Rocky River Road - working bee

Postby Fox » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:41 pm

Count me in Phil. I have a 1.5 tonne 4x4 ute & would be more than happy to devote whatever time is needed to make the track safer to this iconic Tasmanian prospecting destination. They don't know it yet, but I may be able to rope in a couple of mates to help out ;)

Philski

Postby Philski » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:34 am

Good Evening Fox

That's great and if i can ever help its always there. It is one of the most noteworthy and historical fields we have and one of the most beautiful places too. And thank you for bringing it up. its important we and others can access these areas safely. Its only a km as the crow flies down from the top, so its not much road to do really. may even sample as we dig,, you never know..

have a fantastic week
Phillip

kaner

Postby kaner » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:38 am

With plenty of notice i can be there, definitely the most beautiful field going around and hugely mineralised. jan feb may be a better time as the Whyte is low enough to cross, at least after all the hard work we can visit the rocky, why not make a week of it.

kane

starry

Postby starry » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Gdayy Phil last time I was down there last year was in a sad state , what great idea by the time your ready to head down I should be fully recovered and I just happen to know someone who happens to have a 3.5 excavator sitting around which I could possibly use the only problem is transporting it as he keeps it on his property at Calder , maybe could solve with a car trailer or something , I,ll see what we can work out by then , make job a lot easier on everyone

Cheers starry

Philski

Postby Philski » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:29 pm

Awesome!

That all sounds fantastic me. Its a while away and give stacks of time to get organized. I happy to pay for any fuel used etc. i never even thought about the river level, so later would be good to get across.

Fox

Postby Fox » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:56 am

Australia Day long weekend would probably be a good time for most people to be there. There are level areas up on top where people could camp ( Brown's Plains ). Unfortunately some Yobbos have left their rubbish, bottles, cans etc lying about so we could bag it up, chuck it in my ute to take to Waratah tip & do our bit to help clean up Our Tarkine. I have a quantity of Hessian sandbags, courtesy of Ron Gregory for the track repair job and can bring some bags of cement to mix with the gravel.
The job shouldn't take too long if a few people pitch in & once it's done there will be plenty of time to go prospecting.
As Kane says, river levels should be at their lowest at that time of the year facilitating acess to the river beds for gold panning and detecting. It will be be a great opportunity for forum members to meet and get to know each other and for newbies to learn some skills from the old hands. Looking forward to it.
Have a great day

wood

Postby wood » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:00 pm

hi all have got 2 ton 4wd tipper truck am happy to help if dates work out cheers

Fox

Postby Fox » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:51 pm

rps20140812_124602.jpg
Rocky River Gold, Dec 2013
rps20140812_124602.jpg (367.88 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
Hi everyone, just to inspire those interested in coming along on the Rocky River working bee, here's an example of what we can expect to find down that way.
Attachments
rps20140812_125250.jpg
Rocky River
rps20140812_125250.jpg (586.26 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
rps20140812_124937.jpg
Washout on edge of track
rps20140812_124937.jpg (536.8 KiB) Viewed 1418 times

Fox

Postby Fox » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:14 pm

The Rocky River Road working bee is still on as far as I'm concerned - Australia Day long weekend. Anyone wishing to help out will be rewarded with a personal guided tour of the Whyte River diversion tunnel, the water race, Mc Ginty's alluvial workings and more! Plus a chance to pan for gold and learn some of the history of this iconic location.