Prospecting in WA

Gold gem and treasure Prospecting trips in and around Tasmania.

Moderator: Philski

Johnny

Prospecting in WA

Postby Johnny » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi all my wife and I have just returned home from WA, we had about nine weeks prospecting in the gold fields around Cue, Sandstone and Leonora. Wonderful country out there and a huge area. We attended a three day seminar in cue learning about a computer program called Geo Map and found it a very useful tool to find both pending or vacant areas of ground that produce gold and could be legally prospected on. Most areas of course have been mined at some stage over the last 100 years but there is still good gold out their just got to swing the coil over it as they say.

Working 6 days most weeks we managed to find around 7 1/2 oz best fun ever. The gold ranged from the many sub gram nuggets through to a few large ones 15 grams plus and from a few sun bakers to depths of around 14 inches.

We use Minelab detectors (gpx 5000 & gpx 4800) and seen a few Gpz 7000 in action! All in all a great trip and looking forward to our next adventure.

Philski

Re: Prospecting in WA

Postby Philski » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:39 pm

Awesome,, my father in law is in the central WA gold field at the moment on a new project FIFO
Im hoping to fly over with him and spend a week scratching around. They blast and dig down 8 meters or so and stock pile. And he is having a ball.

Im getting my $25 lifetime WA prospecting License (miners rights) this week and hope to go over before the heat kicks in. Its crazy how cheap, knowledgeable and unbelievably accommodating "Other States" mines departments are to small scale recreational prospectors.
http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/10871.aspx#10880

Johnny

Re: Prospecting in WA

Postby Johnny » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:58 am

That's for sure Philski. There are mines departments in many of the mining towns in the gold fields and they are more than happy to help in any way they can.
The gold of corse is where you find it, but I have found it to be mainly associated with iron stone in WA. Most areas have been worked over and over but detecting out wide of these areas can produce good results.
Good luck with it mate.