Anyone regularly go panning?

Gold gem and treasure Prospecting trips in and around Tasmania.

Moderator: Philski

TonyBill

Anyone regularly go panning?

Postby TonyBill » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:52 am

Hi there people :)

I am a bit new to this forum and i guess i have many questions!
Do many go panning regularly for gold? I was just hoping to tag along with someone or go in a group?
I am on the East Coast near Orford and have brought a couple of pans and am hoping to get some more gear,
I have spoken with Ralph from MRT when i went to Zeehan and paid for a book or two about prospecting. I have a little trouble reading the co-ordinates stated in the book he has produced and after sending two emails weeks ago.. i have received nothing in return.
If anyone could give some hints as to some good places for panning on the eastern side of the state id be super grateful!

Cheers! Tony.

Rohan

Re: Anyone regularly go panning?

Postby Rohan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:38 pm

The coordinates would be from a particular map not GPS . There are a few in our area that do a bit

TonyBill

Postby TonyBill » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:08 pm

Ok, thanks Rohan. Awesome stuff

Thankyou :)

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:01 pm

Hi Tony, the coordinates are grid references in UTM, rather than latitude and longitude. These translate directly to the 1:100,000 and 1:25,000 maps like Rohan said.
I've panned some gold at Tobacco Creek in the northeast, and the Lisle valley. MRTmap has a 'mineral occurrences' layer that shows you exact spots.

Good luck!

Danny panner

Postby Danny panner » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:38 am

Welcome Tony, I,m new to panning myself and have been a few times now. You tube has some ok gold panning tutorials worth watching. You could practice with some lead split shot in your pan and some gravel. Yeah the mrt map is the go for gold occurrances and mine workings. Obviously on here there is discussions on some location also. All the best with it.
Dan