Doctors rocks

Gold gem and treasure Prospecting trips in and around Tasmania.

Moderator: Philski

jason

Doctors rocks

Postby jason » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:47 pm

Heading to Wynyard over the new year weekend , hoping to have a dig at doctors rocks is anyone going there that time as well ?

warrenaw

Re: Doctors rocks

Postby warrenaw » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:06 pm

Monday 22nd at 8:30am or thereabouts will be the lowest daylight tide at Doctors Rocks for a month, at .47 meter. Think I'll go and have a look. Missed a fine target there in the conglomerate a while ago because the tide was coming in fast, and it just hasn't been out far enough since. Hope to be able to find that same spot. Wish I had purchased a GPS then. Anyone else interested? Its the best chance for quite a few weeks unless you go with headlights around midnight. There are some super low tides around that time if you are really really keen!

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:49 pm

Back from Dr's Rocks. No gold, but a heap more sinkers to add to the collection.Didn't keep the rotted hooks and swivels! I'm working to make the area sinker free, it seems! Shame. It was low tide, and I was looking for about 3 hrs.
Has gold been found in the grey soft conglomerate, or the black hard conglomerate, or the brown stuff in the middle area or all of them?
I had what appeared to be a great target last time there. Found the spot again, which turned out to be a sinker fallen in a tiny hole about a hand-span deep, so it appeared to be a natural target. What a let down!

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:05 pm

Bad luck, sorry to hear!
I once spent about 40 minutes painstakingly busting bedrock to get to a target right at the bottom of a deep crevice on the Queen River. I was sure it had to be gold, it had worked its way so deep into a tiny crevice!
Turned out to be an old nail.