North east trip

Gold gem and treasure Prospecting trips in and around Tasmania.

Moderator: Philski

ratters

North east trip

Postby ratters » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to head up the NE this weekend coming probably spend a few days in the general area of Weldborough and surrounds looking for gem stones. Only thing is with this rain we have had on the east coast I don't know what to expect when I get up there. Will be calling the Weldborough hotel tomorrow to see what they say about the rivers. If anyone knows please post here!
If the rivers are too high then I will still make a go of it but possibly in smaller creeks and also thinking a wander about in the Gladstone fossicking area looking for smoky quartz could be a good alternative, I've yet to get up there and do that yet. Also probably take the detector with me although I need to do more research yet on whether there's much around for gold detecting in those parts.

My original plan if it doesn't get washed out is to mix it up a bit and have a go in the Mutual, Cascade, Weld, Frome, Wyniford. Maybe south Mt Cameron area too. See what happens! Certainly open to suggestions and advice.

Anyone keen to come along let us know, I'm planning to camp either in the Weldborough camp grounds or just around in the bush if I find somewhere nice.

Cheers,

ratters

mfdes

Re: North east trip

Postby mfdes » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:26 pm

Would love to come ratters, but I'm in the opposite end of the state, surveying in the SW. Good luck! Upper reaches of Main Creek might be good even when the rivers are high.

ratters

Postby ratters » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:23 pm

Had a nice little trip in the end, the weather was stunning and no flooded creeks as I had worried about.

I ended up visiting Main ck, Weld river and the Frome river and had a great time and very happy with my assortment and a few good 'top screen' gems.

The sapphire should be a good cutter, very clear and gemmy and great colour 5.5 carats. Also decided since I was getting big spinel to keep a bit of that too.

Cheers

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:27 pm

Oh, wow, well done, that's a top sapphire!

Moonman

Postby Moonman » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:14 pm

Man that looks beautiful, bet you was rapped when you seen that for the first time :)

ratters

Postby ratters » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:12 pm

I celebrated a bit yep :)

whitehunter

Postby whitehunter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:13 pm

Damn !! that sapphire looks good , nearly at my back door too . Well done indeed .

drystone

Postby drystone » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:35 pm

Great find Ratters!
looks solid, with classic colour. good work!

taurusjustin

Postby taurusjustin » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:36 pm

Wow great finds u must be rapt with them, I am taking my 2 young sons down there next weekend, to try our luck at geming but as yet don't believe we will find any thing like u have .