Freshly retired with a 3rd hand Minelab 2300

Gold gem and treasure Prospecting trips in and around Tasmania.

Moderator: Philski

warrenaw

Freshly retired with a 3rd hand Minelab 2300

Postby warrenaw » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi Everyone!
Looking for anyone who cares to go detecting in the Nth of the state. I'm freshly retired, and my wife is fed up with me at home much of the time. For the last 25 years, I've been home 3 weeks and gone for five weeks. She likes it like that. I've been working overseas. Any suggestions where to go.
It's a long time till there's a proper low tide at Doctors Rocks again.
Tried among the trash around Beaconsfield, and the trash is amazing in quantity and depth.
The Minelab is amazing in it's sensitivity. Thought it was broken the day it arrived, until I realized it was the hash from my solar panel inverter in the garage.
It' s incredible how much of Tassie is Forest Reserve and out of bounds for us. A real awakening.
So if anyone cares, I'm very interested, and available nearly any time or day. I need to learn

i need to learn!
Cheers
Warren

warrenaw

Re: Freshly retired with a 3rd hand Minelab 2300

Postby warrenaw » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:31 pm

Should have said I'm in the Port Sorell area.
Cheers
Warren

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi Warren,

Welcome! Handy to your area are Beaconsfield/Salisbury, Lefroy/Back Creek, Denison/Golconda/Lilydale... But also within reason you have Middlesex / Bell Mount and you're not too far off the Corinna area.
My first successful gold detecting trip was in Corinna with an SDC, I'd definitely recommend the area. Research is key.

Cheers,

Miguel

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:58 pm

Hi Miguel!
Corinna area, I had never considered. Thanks for the pointer. Salisbury sounds good too. Unfortunately, Beaconsfield is virtually ruined due to illegal dumping of rubbish. Access road to the area (more or less north of Holwell Road) you can legally enter is closed now with a sign saying Road Closed because of excess illegal dumping. A real shame. As you say, research is the key.
Thanks heaps
Warren

Philski

Postby Philski » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:08 am

Hey Warren

Im keen, Im working right next to the Bell Mountain goldfield.

Nuggets are generally 1-3 grams with the odd half ouncer. Small shotty stuff to 0.1 grams. Its not easy to find any more though. I guess that's the same as elsewhere. Streams close by with significant mineralization carry fine gold and some gemstones. So a sieve could be productive too.

Ive pulled lots of relics like a pick head, spade head and part of a sluicing fork over on poverty creek. Nobody had ever detected the area before that i can see. no holes filled in , no modern rubbish (At all) may still be a few relics to be found. i have been over quite heavily and methodically now. Not a single nugget though, just small stuff in that part of the field. But, an interesting place and still a few things to go over there.

There are quite a few minor gold fields dotted around the area, minnow river, dasher river, olivers hill, round hill, five mile, bramptons, lea, and tee tree, narrawa, stormont etc.

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:10 am

HI Philski
That's relatively close to where I live! Can get there in an hour. Love to come and have a look.
I though than nearly everything there was somehow private or forest reserve.
I'll head that way and have a good look. I'm free (literally!) now, nearly all the time. If you would like some company, I would love to come. I'm absolutely new to this. My phone is 64287342 or 0458214924.
Went to Dr's Rocks yesterday at 7.30am(low tide). Nothing in the old area, and I found afterwards, I had misjudged where the new area is from the map by about 300 meters. Went to the left of a different path to the beach. Should have kept the map in my pocket and not in the car!
Take care
\Warren

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Went to the 'correct' new area at Dr's Rocks today. A half a dozen sinkers, and then found a nice target INSIDE one area of conglomerate. Couldn't get into it because the tide was coming in and getting over my gumboots. Wonder what it was. I've tried to mark that spot with some bigger rocks. Wonder if they will be there soon. Next low tides are much higher than today or yesterday. Will try again on the 22nd when tides are properly low again, and lower than today.

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:28 pm

HI sorry for the delay in replying, i had to go over to Victoria. I spent half a day at Creswick and Scouted around that area North and south of it. Amazing how many significant historical gold fields are in such close proximity to each other over there.. I got tingles at just being near Talbot, Maryborough, Creswick, Ballarat, Clunes, Daylesford etc Amazing place. So pretty cool trip. albeit rushed.

Great to see the Victorian state government and parks actually working WITH prospectors to create such viable and healthy communities and embrace its prospecting and mining history so enthusiastically. Peter laylor etc.

i was at Moina today for work and had a couple of hours off. Off the boat and straight to work. I have permission to be on the Bell Creek field. And, permission from every land owner surrounding it. Im back up there on Saturday. But, able to zoom up thursday or friday as well. happy to show you around.

i wonder if it was the same target i got in the tillite/conglomerate. Mine was on the top shoulder of one of the gutters at Doctors Rocks facing the shore. About 40 meters from high tide mark. sweet signal too.

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:49 pm

It sure sounds like the same target at Dr's Rocks. Very sweet signal, with no doubt at all INSIDE the conglomerate, though I'm no geologist, so have no idea what it is likely to be. 22nd is the next properly low tide where you would have a chance to get at it.

Would love to be shown around, and to meet a fellow enthusiast. Any day is good for me. Please call either phone number, and I'm likely to answer.My phone is 64287342 or 0458214924. My wife doesn't mind where I go if it's with someone. She gets excited if I try to go somewhere more than half a km from a road on my own in bush or forest. Considering the life I've led and the places I've worked, it's hard to fathom that, really.
I have trouble trying to understand Forestry Tas's attitude to anything. Phone them and the person you deal with has (obviously) no proper idea of what you are talking about, even when reading to them the back of the prospecting license. Shame someone from Forestry isn't in this group.... (Or are they????)

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:52 pm

That's at the "New' Doctor's Rocks outcrop in front of the houses, and not the old field... Right?