Freshly retired with a 3rd hand Minelab 2300

Gold gem and treasure Prospecting trips in and around Tasmania.

Moderator: Philski

warrenaw

Re: Freshly retired with a 3rd hand Minelab 2300

Postby warrenaw » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:01 pm

The plan is to use a bag of golf tees, and poke one in the ground over the iron targets picked up by the 400i and then go over the same ground again with the SDC2300. That way, you can ignore the big iron targets, and reduce digging around old workings and mines by perhaps a half.
However, first need to have this darned rain stop. I"m going to Victoria to be with some elderly friends for 2 weeks on Tuesday, so will miss out some searching here, as well as the first of the upcoming PMAT get-togethers. I've removed perhaps 20 sinkers and nearly that much split-shot from the Doctors Rocks area in August, so there's less false targets for the meeting later. Hopefully the rough weather over the last months had has stirred up some gold from wherever it comes from.
Had a very interesting time in the west with Sean from Grindlewald on Saturday. Didn't get any gold, but learned a lot about how the geology is between Savage River and Corinna. Dangerous to go anywhere there without a GPS. Easy to get lost in the gullies. Makes you really respect the old-timers a century and more ago.

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:07 am

The plan is to use a bag of golf tees, and poke one in the ground over the iron targets picked up by the 400i and then go over the same ground again with the SDC2300. That way, you can ignore the big iron targets, and reduce digging around old workings and mines by perhaps a half.
However, first need to have this darned rain stop. I"m going to Victoria to be with some elderly friends for 2 weeks on Tuesday, so will miss out some searching here, as well as the first of the upcoming PMAT get-togethers. I've removed perhaps 20 sinkers and nearly that much split-shot from the Doctors Rocks area in August, so there's less false targets for the meeting later. Hopefully the rough weather over the last months had has stirred up some gold from wherever it comes from.
Had a very interesting time in the west with Sean from Grindlewald on Saturday. Didn't get any gold, but learned a lot about how the geology is between Savage River and Corinna. Dangerous to go anywhere there without a GPS. Easy to get lost in the gullies. Makes you really respect the old-timers a century and more ago.

Danny panner

Postby Danny panner » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:02 pm

I had a look out at Salisbury Hill with the pan a while back in a creek near there with the result a few pieces of tiny course gold from a hell of a lot of effort. It looks pretty overgrown for a detector from what I saw also. Good luck!

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:02 am

Bunnings have a very interesting rake with a curvey handle, which has the handle attached to each end of the body rather than in the middle. Between the tines on this one is very sharp. You need to replace the aluminium pop rivets which attach the head to the shaft with something more substantial, however. They fall off in the first use.
When you find a likely spot in the bush, it can make very short work of old bracken, and you can locate nails and bullets where probably no one has looked for a long time.
Try panning in the little gully under the power-lines. It goes under the road. Not in the creek.

Currently in Victoria for 2 weeks. Had part of a day at the goldfield at Blackwood. Hydraulic workings. Amazing stuff. Lots of the old copper or bronze tacks used to hold boots together. Unusual finds. Never seen that before.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:35 am

Hey Warren,

Watch out for the licence condition that says "No vegetation is to be cut or removed".
This is worded so vaguely that it's almost impossible to interpret (like so many other prospecting rules we're supposed to abide by). Even digging the smallest hole is going to be cutting some grasses and herbs, which are technically vegetation.
What this means is that it's up to MRT to interpret this and police it, and if they think you're making a mess they can use this against you for doing almost nothing. And I don't mean you specifically (Warren), I mean anyone prospecting.
The reason I bring it up is because I've noticed significant clearing of bracken and shrubbery, and raking the ground clean, in the Salisbury area in the past, and the mess that was left behind leaves us open to attack from the public. This puts pressure on MRT to do something about it, and they generally take the easy way of restricting prospecting further.
Use common sense, raking dead bracken is probably totally fine, but removing live vegetation from patches of ground, then leaving the ground bare, has the potential to get you into trouble. If it were me I'd try to hide where I'd been spending a significant amount of time and effort by replacing any damaged vegetation and covering up the area anyway. I wouldn't want others to see that the patch was a good one :-)

Cheers,

Miguel

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:22 pm

That's what I meant when I said 'old bracken'. It seem to die in patches. You are certainly right about the green stuff. Vaguely worded terms and conditions are unfortunately hard to pin down exactly.
By the way,at Blackwood, in Vic, someone, who I assume was a forestry ranger( couldn't make out the oficial looking patches on the shirt) came and asked how I was going and if I found any gold. Didn't even ask for my cheap Victorian 10 year Miner's Right, which I was sure he would. He suggested I try a different part area from where I was and pointed in a general direction. Very different attitude to what I am told seems to happen in Tassie.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:03 pm

It's not too bad here, the actual people who might check out on you are pretty understanding, usually, so long as you're not obviously trying to abuse the system.
My particular gripe is with the fact that so much interpretation is left to the on-the-ground staff who might be having a bad day when they happen to meet you.