Freshly retired with a 3rd hand Minelab 2300

Gold gem and treasure Prospecting trips in and around Tasmania.

Moderator: Philski

warrenaw

Re: Freshly retired with a 3rd hand Minelab 2300

Postby warrenaw » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi Philski.
Haven't heard from you. Hope all is OK with work and family.
Very much looking forward to seeing Bell Creek and Moina.
I can get there in about 1- 1.5 hrs.

drystone

Postby drystone » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:09 pm

Hi Warren,
pleased you've "got the bug" and also that you've joined the forum!
Shame your wife isn't so keen on your retirement: maybe you could get her a detector and try for relic hunting (old coins, jewellery, tokens etc)? My wife isn't interested in gold prospecting, but does like relic hunting :)
Anyway, there are numerous old gold mines around Lefroy, Mathinna, Mangana: just be careful of shafts in the undergrowth (tell someone where you're going and organise to call home by a certain time etc)
Lots of research is as important as time on the ground: pinpoint your target areas
I am not retired but hoping to get an SDC2300 in the next month or so, so pretty excited. A mate has one and they are a compact, waterproof, sensitive and stable unit: can't wait!
things will be more active in the coming months with field trips and general prospecting activity as days grow longer and river levels drop.
all the best,
Drystone

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:41 pm

I'm going to Dr Rocks Tomorrow (22nd). Will see if I can find that target again. I have a small crowbar, which might help to prize apart the conglomerate a bit better than my little pick. That's hard stuff!
Had a bit of a look at Sulphur Creek at a not very low tide. Was quite excited about some 'targets' till I figured out that some rounded dark smoothish black rocks with no fissures were showing as targets, but a bit weak. Wonder what that material is. None that I remember like that at Drs Rocks.....

drystone

Postby drystone » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:13 pm

have fun at Dr's Rocks: the weather looks to be fine. I don't know if the locals have mentioned one thing to be mindful of around there are the small, but venomous blue-ringed octopus.
they are about hand-sized, drab mottled brown and hide amongst the rock pools in the tidal zone. not unusual to find one under loose rocks: they produce bright blue rings when threatened and have a toxic bite, so I'd recommend wearing gloves.
not trying to be alarmist: just be mindful!

Post some pics if you find any shiny stuff :)
cheers
drystone

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:39 pm

Yikes! Had no idea those evil little bugger were there. I purchased a new pair of gloves this afternoon, ready for tomorrow. Just against minor cuts. Not for octopii (or whatever the octopus plural is!) Thanks for the heads up, Drystone!
I hope to goodness there is some shiny stuff this time and I will post if something is found.

drystone

Postby drystone » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi Warren,
how goes it? Not seen any fresh posts re gold from Dr's Rocks so wondering if you've been able to get out?
You'll be pleased to know I now have an SDC and took it for its maiden run yesterday.
Apart from occasional EMI, the machine ran well, finding plenty of junk targets, but alas, no yellow.
Still, another area covered and a solid test of a new machine (and operator!)
hope you're well, might see you at an upcoming PMAT event?
cheers,
Drystone

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:21 pm

Sorry for not answering. Nothing at Dr's rocks. Some more sinkers and lots of spots with disappearing targets, which I assume are rusty spots which disintegrate when you try and dig them up. I'm wondering if I'm looking at exactly the right area. I go to the area marked elsewhere in these forums, circled in a Google Map image.
A problem of sorts at Salisbury Hill, by the way is EMI. Trans Tassie EHT towers go right over one end of the area, so you always have that warberly sound there. Worse racket is from my solar panel voltage inverter system at home. It's diablolical on the 2300. Pointless to show its features to anyone at home.
I'll be in Vic for the Ocotber PMAT event, but will be definitely in Tassie for November's Dr's Rocks.
I'm in Port Sorell. Where are you located??

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Hey Warren,

It takes time and patience but you can learn to work through the EMI at Salisbury, which follows a predictable sequence, and hear targets underneath on the SDC 2300. I usually tone down the sensitivity as well. Nuggets have been found in the area.

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:37 pm

Sean from Grindelwald has shown me his nuggets from Salisbury, so I have no doubt at all. As you say, the EMI is quite predictable, and you just have to sort of wait for the low bits. Its been very very wet of late, and the EMI is louder than ever, nothing like when I first joined the forum a couple of months back. I'm sure that when it dries out a bit, it will be great again. I've also purchased a Garrett 400i, with the intention of marking the iron in the ground and ignoring those targets. So many nails to not dig up. Then can concentrate on the other targets and do good. There's so many parts very well overgrown in the area, that simply cannot have recent technology metal detectors used for a very long time. I'm a persistent person and wont give up.
Never had so much fun for a very long time!

drystone

Postby drystone » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:06 pm

Hi Warren,
I'm at Deloraine, so not too far from you.
A pox on all this rainy weather though: I can only hope that some goodies have been released from nature's grasp in the creeks and rivers...
Drystone