Remote area trip: west coast

Gold gem and treasure Prospecting trips in and around Tasmania.

Moderator: Philski

drystone

Remote area trip: west coast

Postby drystone » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:20 pm

Hi all,
Wood and myself are tossing around the idea of a challenging, remote area multiday prospecting trip on the west coast and looking for some feedback.
Ideas thus far:
Area: Lucy Spur and/or Nancy Spur hydraulic workings, ~7km east of Corinna
Time: ~4-6 days, March? 2017
Access: either boat up Pieman, then walk 3km in (OR) helicopter in @ $2000/hr, carry 4 people per trip
Gear: self sufficient in camping, cooking, clothing, medical needs. Prospecting and scrub clearing equipment

Remote area, need to be fit, equipped and sensible. Historic workings include hydraulicked areas, underground drives and shafts. Weather can change quickly from hot with sunburn to cold, pouring rain. Likely to be bitey bugs and the odd snake, so phobics need not apply :shock:

If anyone has been to this area or these workings and can provide info, it would be appreciated.
Genuinely interested people can contact Wood on 0400 623 451

kaner

Re: Remote area trip: west coast

Postby kaner » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:19 am

Hi fellas
As usual its hard to drum up any interest, :roll: (arm chair prospectors.)
I would like to make it down over Christmas if you are interested in a rocky river trip is calling :lol:
Good luck

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi drystone,

I'd love to join you guys, but I don't think I'll have the time available to take more than one day off work at a time for the first half of next year.

I'm looking to schedule the next PMAT AGM in the Corinna area, if there's enough interest. I was thinking about camping / meeting in Luina, where there's plenty of room, and fanning out from there.

Cheers,

Miguel

drystone

Postby drystone » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:25 pm

Hi Miguel, Kaner:
thanks for the replies, I think there have been a couple of expressions of interest to Wood re the trip.
Rocky River is always of interest too, just the usual drama of getting a trip in before the "silly season" hits (getting earlier and longer each year??)
A pity you are so busy Miguel, but I'm sure you will be hatching a plan or three anyhow! :)
When is the AGM likely to be scheduled?
Corinna is certainly an option, albeit a fair travel. Is Mathinna/Mangana also a possibility?
cheers,
Drystone

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:27 am

We've got permission to have a trip in the Mathinna area, with some conditions, but given that it's always dry and open around there, I'd rather leave it till the colder season.

We're more than open to suggestions as to where people want to go!

4nines_

Postby 4nines_ » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:29 pm

g'day fella's,
great idea ! not for the faint hearted that's for sure. I used to think tropical rainforest was tough going for detecting/prospecting,
but tassie scrub is something altogether tougher. One thing I am certain of, is there are plenty of 100 oz plus patches waiting to be discovered for anyone with the determination and discipline to go out and stick to a good plan.
I've been keen for a long while to take a look near where the big kilo plus nuggets were reportedly found.

some areas I would suggest are:

possible older alluvial terraces rocky river near mcginty's nugget
this looks like very difficult terrain, but...
rocky_r1.jpg

similar story near Paradise river/Paradise creek junction and terraced bends nearby
again very difficult terrain but boatable?

contouring the relatively flat scarp between east (south?) Lucy creek and a tributary of Paradise river (from North)
I'd aim at accessing the contours of any of the heads of gullies draining into these creeks. maybe a chopper job this one.
lucy_par1.jpg

anyway, thought I should quit lurking and contribute something..
anyone who can stick out this sort of country deserves every ounce they can find.

cheers !

wood

Postby wood » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:18 am

ha kaner am interested in rocky river trip as well if the dates work b interesting to c how the track has held up after this years wheather have had good interest 4 the lucy spur trip a big thank u to ron gregory 4 his help the more we find out the more ruggered that country gets it gunna b a real bucket list trip NOW A NEW TOOL 4 THE SERIOUS BUSH BASHING PROSPECTOR FISKARS MAKE A BRUSHHOOK ALONG HANDLE ONE AN ASHORT HANDLE ONE GOT THE SHORT ONE XA3 RAZOR SHARP LIGHT WEIGHT A PLEASURE TO USE FELT LIKE BEAR GRIYLISS THE HOLE TIME BOUT 60 BUCKS A REALLY GOOD TOOL CHEERS WOOD