A Few Days in the Wild West

Gold gem and treasure Prospecting trips in and around Tasmania.

Moderator: Philski

Kezndaz

A Few Days in the Wild West

Postby Kezndaz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:53 pm

We have just spent 10 days on the West Coast, mostly fishing on the Henty. We also got some time to get some gold in the pan around Corrinna.
image.jpg
Corinna Gold,some nice plinkers in the pan

We camped at the pay Corinna sites ($45 a night). Paddled up the Pieman in the canoe and up into the Whyte til around Whytes creek where fallen logs bar the way. Panned here and the nameless creek on the Metedith side for little. The creeks are hard to spot. Flood flow in the river deposits huge silt mounds to the bank sides. The creeks draining the hills form swamps behind the mounds and seep through quietly to the river. We moved up to the free site on the western explorer just before Middletons creek. About 10 pm we heard chainsaw action then a demo charge and some rock chipping noises. We walked quietly out on to the road in the dark and down toward Middletons crossing. At this point somebody discharged what appeared to be a firearm in our general direction, and we headed back.
Next day early went to Trial harbour with the intention of exploring the Lake Cumberland plateau above Trial. A stiff walk up an impossible 4 wd track led to an open moor of old tin mines.
image.jpg
Cumberland plateau

image.jpg
Waxmans mine riveted boiler

This is a very interesting area where the red granite contacts the white granite
We also paid respects to Joe Brown, killed handling dynamite at the Montague mine
image.jpg
Joe Browns grave

Hope everyone gets some Summer color. Look out for the gold fever coming to a stream near you courtesy of commercial tv

mids0n

Re: A Few Days in the Wild West

Postby mids0n » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:49 pm

Niiice kez n daz! Me and a mate have been getting good colour from around sunday creek but its too far from hobart. We're heading up mangana next weekend. After all the rain hopefully some good gold has washed into the creeks :)

Dazza

Postby Dazza » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:02 pm

Wow midson,what was going on down at the creek at Middleton’s ,did you check it out in that next morning?

Kezndaz

Postby Kezndaz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:33 pm

Hey MidsOn
We didn't check out the Middletons mine site the next day
Expect someone on this forum knows what the crack is or wants to know.
Exploras reply post in disappearing ink suggests that the ground remains speculative.
Have explored this area for 15 years, no issues.
Only seen the sharp end of someone's stick like this at Lightning Ridge or white Cliffs.
Yep, Sunday ck and the Donaldson mid slopes shedding detrital gold. Lower Sunday too deep to work in. Unfilled detector holes appearing here. Area was heavily suction dredged when we were here 6 yrs ago. There is a cool old bus chassis down in the myrtle here on one of the side tracks. Elizabeth ridge creeks from Browns plains to Corinna are good providers. "Walk further from the car" is always a good principle. Good luck with Mangana, put some photos up.
Kez n Daz

Dazza

Postby Dazza » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:18 pm

I don’t understand what you mean about Someone on this forum knows what the crack is or wants to know can you explain what that means.

Kezndaz

Postby Kezndaz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:42 pm

Gday Dazzas
Just meant that the moonlighting gold ferrets probably read this forum, or their mates do.
Always meant to ask you about Maydena and where to have a look around there.
We have panned gold out of the weld down the Huon end, but not much.
KnD

wood

Postby wood » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:56 am

Hi all funny u say about Middletons down there 5 6 months ago sumone had a real go at the old shack sites onthe corner at road junction had washed a lot of dirt sluiced a lot but had left a hell of a mess cans every where an old gloves etc even left behind there wheel barrel that is agood spot for panning always water in 3 very deep ponds an u alway find a bit of color use to b a old trommel there but c thats gone now have found a little nugget there quate sharp as well if u pan the tailings of the trommel u always get fine gold an thts where we found the gold nugget where the pigs had been is virgin wash an will produce colors as well but patchy go for the super black sandy dirt good fun an probably good spot for kids but watch out for snakes an very deep waterholes think the silica mine has the lease now an it meant to b rehabilitated huts etc r getting pull down etc by the looks of it i think with the new gold shows on tv now there is going to b more of this stuff going on nowdays an is a bad look for the good prospectors funny how they can shovel a ton of dirt but can't pick up there rubbish on a different note did a fly over in a lite plane of rocky lucy spur merridith etc quite cheap but will do full story later on cheers andrew

Dazza

Postby Dazza » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi Wood I’m farmiliar with the old trimmer site there I used to camp in the shack that was peter stewart’s when it was there ,seen the trommel there at that time ,Pete said he used to help the guy that ran it and seen the riffles full of gold more than once.

wood

Postby wood » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:57 am

Hi dazza is that where the gold bug first bit ya

Dazza

Postby Dazza » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi wood,No had it long before then,I stayed in peter stewart’s shack there once poked around there with Pete.