Moina - Bell Mountain - Dolcoath

Gold gem and treasure Prospecting trips in and around Tasmania.

Moderator: Philski

loverr

Re: Moina - Bell Mountain Goldfield

Postby loverr » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03 pm

well done mate :)

admin
Site Admin

Re: Moina - Bell Mountain TOPAZ Hunting

Postby admin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:46 pm

just wondering if anyone is interested in a spot of Topaz Hunting up at Dolcoath in the quarry on the northern face a few hundred feet above the Shepherd Murphy mine? They are crystal clear to yellow topaz and range up to 20mm long. So would be super easy to cut

access is easy and only requires a 2 wheel drive and bitumen most of the way.

Dolcoath Hill Quarry (Moina Quarry), Moina District (Middlesex District), Tasmania, Australia
Small roadmetal quarry in sandstone with narrow tin-topaz-tungsten veins.
Relatively good topaz crystals (colourless to pale yellowish) occur in clay pockets.
Located 200 m W of the All Nations mine and less than 2 kilometers southeast of the Shephard and Murphy mines.Image
taken from mindat:

Other crystals in the area include Smokey Quartz and Beryllium.

Trent

Postby Trent » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:07 am

Sounds like it could be fun, would be good learning experience :D

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi Trent, thats what i thought.. I have never sieved topaz before and it sounds like a decent deposit. i know the area well but never targeted crystals apart from the smoky quartz guange material a km or so south east of the quarry. and the Beryllium crystals down at Narrawa Creek. I can get any keepers cut into gemstones here in Tassie too, so a truly local gemstone.

Im working at Cradle Mountain 4.30am start and am free every afternoon for the next 4 days. then a week of doubles, then lemonthyme lodge so i have to go right past the deposit twice a day,,,, just a matter of finding a time that suits you and work and weather of course. Its pretty dry at the best of times on top of the hill. So perhaps a bucket of water a sieve and just recycle that. Im happy to leave the gear up there if we cant catch up.

From historical reports there was one miner looking for gemstones and they had a shaker table set up on car springs. No idea on what crystal they targeted though, Cassiterite i would guess?

i also asked for permission from Pluton resources over in WA this morning to gain access to the back of Dolcoath all the way to the Dove river. Five mile rise field. etc. :) for Au

have a great day
Phillip

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Awesome
I got permission from Ralph Botrill (MRT) to use his images of the topaz today. i have never looked for topaz even on flinders island when i last had a chance. So pretty excited. I will be up there tomorrow about 3pm after work for a scout around and stuff. Flinder island have the hardest topaz in the world. Apparently.
Photo credit: Ralph Bottrill 2006 Princess Mine.

They also get good blue Topaz at Moina / Occurrences of Gemstone Minerals in Tasmania

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:25 pm

Just an update on the Quarry at Dolcoath, Moina. And the topaz. Its signed and gated now. Treloars in Sheffield have the tenement and i went straight to them, but being Saturday Afternoon they are closed. so Monday morning is the earliest i can get an answer on access to it.

i managed to shoot a coil over the ridge dividing the Forth river and Tin Spur Creek on the way home. Tin Spur has a bit of gold in it and i found exposed terrace gravels with an iron signal in the lower levels, like behind firetower prospect. Worth panning tomorrow at least.

have a great day
Phillip

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:19 pm

I gained permission today to prospect for Topaz at the Quarry at Dolcoath from Treloar Transport. Sorry it took so long, i have been working ridiculous hours again.

There was a catch though. They gave me permission as a single prospector because they wanted public liability insurance for a group. And i dont have or want public liability insurance expenditures. But its only a phone call to ask them yourself if you want to go up too.

The other groups they have let on have been the Institute of Mineralogy and Crystallography, University of Vienna. And i would imagine the Tasmanian Gemological society and local lapidary clubs.

I have been over the Quarry many years ago, before Treloar Transport had the lease but was targeting Wolframite in situ and alluvial Cassiterite at the time. The roads up there are the best i have ever seen and even if the quarry is off limits to most. The rest of the area is rich in many high temp minerals and a few interesting mining relics.

I will only be up there working when they are not in the quarry to limit OH&s risks for them and me.

have a great day
Phillip

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:39 am

The Quarry at Dolcoath has been blow to bits and its most remarkable, it was the drilling i heard a couple of weeks ago. It sounded like the all nations mine but was further away (over the hill) than i thought. I found some sub economic mineralization (Tourmaline down the bottom and Wolframite) in the quarry in the facing after the blasting and whats remarkable is the colour of the earth compared to the fawn normal coloured porphyry that is so abundant in the area. The mineralized area is an attractive light brown colour. The C Horizon and above is chocolate brown from oxidization and fire i would presume. But the difference is pronounced and a potential indicator to later deposits. Without seeing into the earth i would never have know. it resembles an undersea pipe.

OH&S please note: the face is now strewn with detonators, fuses and perhaps un-exploded explosives.

There have been some seriously Massive (foot long) crystals found in the last few weeks from up there at Dolcoath. Smokey quartz and Beryllium to name a few. I gained permission this week from Transend to use their high voltage power line network for access to the area and others, so very promising and very welcomed access. in return if i see any landslides or things that will make the arborists / sparkies job a pain later on, im to let them know. Worth calling if you want easy access to some of the most remote areas of our state

what i have found this week is a 2 inch vein of Peridot (not precious) in the basalt across from the devon mine half way up Lake Cethana and interestingly Wolfram close by and unworked ferro-manganese gossan at five mile rise sitting on a massive volcanically hosted sulphide deposit so pretty exciting week really.

Kindest regards
Phillip

Dazza

Postby Dazza » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:41 pm

loverr wrote:jus tto let you know i will be transferring the money tomorrow morning when i get home :)

bigbenny

Postby bigbenny » Sun May 24, 2015 11:22 pm

Gday Phil, I'm interested in a trip up the All nations/Dolcoath region seeking gems and a bit of history on the area... I've been up for a wander around but I'd love to have a look for some topaz and other gems in the quarry and Moina region. Give me a shout next time you're heading up this way mate. I'm only 10 mins from Wilmot