Moina - Bell Mountain - Dolcoath

Gold gem and treasure Prospecting trips in and around Tasmania.

Moderator: Philski

Philski

Re: Moina - Bell Mountain Goldfield

Postby Philski » Mon May 25, 2015 2:32 am

Hi Big Benny

The quarry is off limits to most people now sorry. i got permission for myself on certain days and a few other people and groups have tried afterwards and been refused. He was specific if was me only at the time. I dint find any topaz after the latest series of blasts. I guess that's why its off limits. its a dangerous working area with hundreds detonators laying about everywhere and unstable talus and a shear and fractured working face and security of there machinery etc.

i would imagine, there would have to be some topaz down stream from the Quarry up the top of bistmuth creek above the SM mine. should be able to get into safely and easily. Its the closest stream system to it. Bramptons also carries gold and may be worth looking for topaz as well.

The smokey Quartz at Dolcoath isnt as easy to find as it used to be. It got plundered hard the last 10 years or so. I know who did it,, but what can you do? There are still a few nice specimens to be had. Just not on the flat tailing's area like you used to get. I have been to just about every mine in the area and know some of the past miners than owned them. You can get tourmaline and some chunky wolfram easily. Plenty of wolframite, molybdenite and bismuth at the Shepard Murphy mine. There is also a shallow alluvial above the mine that would have all sorts of minerals in it The All Nations https://goo.gl/maps/EQLPn was blasted to prevent access about 13 years ago or more? and is super unstable on top. I heard the blast when they dropped it and it was a ripper. you could hear it rip along Bismuth fault. there is plenty of Wolfram a few meters away on the surface anyway.

There was some massive quartz a foot across found last year under the powerlines up the top of the hill, But i think it was a quartz vein than fractured into 6 sides. i went up as soon as i heard about to have a look. Its still there.

Some other minerals in the area is beryllium? and cassiterite and electrum, if you like silver and gold. There are apparently some quite large crystals of berylium above higgs and towards the Forth river in the number 4 trenches? but ive never been able to find them, Its pretty thick scrub and steep, but would be great to find.

Kezndaz

Postby Kezndaz » Mon May 25, 2015 12:10 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (445.12 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Hi Kerrin here just to add to philski's post found some beryllium crystal(see image) round the pig and whistle mine area. Also found some trenching between Sayers and princess mine area. As for All nations mine crystal everywhere take a rake mostly small or broken but some nice small points and quite clear.Hope that helps.

bigbenny

Postby bigbenny » Mon May 25, 2015 8:44 pm

cheers for the info guys. I've been up to the tailings dump at All Nations for a scratch a few times, found some small but nice quartz and smoky quartz crystals. where do you access the SM mine Phil? from CM Road or Dolcoath Road? which is the best way to access Bismuth Ck? I've only recently been getting into gem hunting and finding some topaz is my main interest at the moment, I'm always on the hunt for gold, regularly sampling most places that I venture to around the North west... always keen for any more info on rivers that carry nice shotty gold to pan/sluice.

bigbenny

Postby bigbenny » Mon May 25, 2015 8:56 pm

few crystals from couple months ago up at the tailings dump, camera doesn't do them justice
Attachments
17401_10152874597532966_2652705032890947726_n.jpg
17401_10152874597532966_2652705032890947726_n.jpg (60.58 KiB) Viewed 492 times

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue May 26, 2015 4:38 am

Hi Kez and Daz and Benny

The Berylium crystal looks awesome and a good km or more away from the area i was looking. I think the pig and whistle used to be called another name too,. but cant remember it.

Benny to get to the SM mine. the turn off is on the right half way between moina shop and lemonthyme turnoff/ its on a corner and the other side of the road has been cleared and benched. The mine is about 2.5km down towards old Moina and has a big yellow sign.

Also,, if your interested? if you go past lemonthyme lodge road about 400 meters where it turns hard right there is a small pull off area on the right before it goes up onto Blackjack straight. That gully is the headwaters of bismuth creek and on the left, near the quarry had a claim called Kemps rainbow, im only guessing? but imagine it had a few colored stones from the name,, perhaps blue / pink / clear topaz etc, its one area ive always wanted to have a poke about for historical reasons more than anything. I have this Friday off work or could also do Saturday Morning before i head back down the coast. I can also show you a few other creeks in the area, that dont get mentioned much.

The claim owner GW Kemp was the son of the chief magistrate in launceston And lawson the bloke that got killed up there was the son of the launceston district police inspector. Thats how, i think, they knew each other. A lady that grew up near Hopes crusher and used to walk down thought the paddocks to school told me about it. I think it important to capture some of our living oral mining history, while we still can. Before it too, is regulated to death

Kind regards
Phillip Kemp

itassie

Postby itassie » Wed May 27, 2015 1:56 am

phil your links are a virus, they are not google maps

Philski

Postby Philski » Wed May 27, 2015 2:06 am

Hi i got the links directly off google maps but removed them just in case. Im using an ancient laptop Queenstown with broken keys, on free elcheapo wifi.. so anything is possible.. thanks.. its still a good computer.. but just in case. The website, and hosting. This one. is as bullet proof to hackers and ddos attacks, as humanly possible

PS i do use the most up to date anti virus i can get on my computers. And update and check daily. the wifi is something i know little about though and may have been redirected or something..

Philski

Postby Philski » Wed May 27, 2015 2:43 am

Are you using avast? by any chance?

steely

Postby steely » Wed May 27, 2015 8:57 am

Hi Phil & itassie, Both links worked fine for me yesterday .

Philski

Postby Philski » Wed May 27, 2015 12:17 pm

Thanks, it was fine for me too. . im honestly not sure how a google map URL could be diverted to a virus page? it went straight to google for me. The only reference to it i can find is people using avast will sometimes give a false positive to the shortened goog.le/map url i guess

im honestly not sure itassie.. perhaps if you run malwarebytes or similar on your machine. you may have a redirect malware on it, The site is up to date and there are no spam accounts on here. The hosting is cloud dual location and constantly monitored for threats. I have heard of domains being redirected by blackhats if they got onto a server. But dont think google would let them last too long, if Google maps got hijacked.