North East Tas Gold Fields

Gold gem and treasure Prospecting trips in and around Tasmania.

Moderator: Philski

Philski

North East Tas Gold Fields

Postby Philski » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi,

i have never prospected in the north east (any place west of the Weld River) and was looking to go out with a new detector so will be a bit more play than prospect for me. Happy to hunt gold or Precious gems or any economic mineralization not under tenement. lots of ERA open atm

Phillip

drystone

Re: North East Tas Gold Fields

Postby drystone » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi Philski,
have enjoyed your posts on this and other forums: many thanks!
I've been looking around at NE spots: plenty to choose from: currently trying to get to grips with Mangana with a mate: not much luck thus far :?
Just got MRT map of leases around Back Creek: dang it, it looks pretty tight: not much ground that isn't a ML in the best areas at least.
Might have to approach said leaseholders, or else try and snag a crumb from around the edges of the field!
:roll:
Anyway, be nice to cross paths some time: are you still down Corinna way?
cheers,
Drystone

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:47 pm

Hey Drystone. Great to meet you too.

im down Corinna this week coming. The north coast this week and the Central West the week after. Did you know we can prospect on ERA grounds in Tassie? exploration release areas. They offer the most sought after mineralised grounds we host. as of today, its the most areas in total i have ever seen up for grabs in Tasmania by us small scale prospectors. cool huh. You can thank me later.

To see the areas your allowed to prospect on. MRTs online viewer is updated daily
http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/portal/page?_ ... ema=PORTAL

its located on the left of the home page and down a bit > On-Line Data / Webmap Viewer

it will come up as blank document up the top right, Click the drop down list under blank documents and right down the bottom is tenements. i un-check most everything (left square) in tenements list except
Exploration Release Areas and topography and then "Click to Refresh Map" then muck around with geo and mag

the Era areas open to us at the moment cover every major gold workings in the North East west of the Tamar, the Central North and some amazing parts of the west coast range i have not been to yet. And am not sure if i can make it in, even, it only lasts for 2 months. So about mid Feb im good for the north east.

have a fantastic week
Phillip

ratters

Postby ratters » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi Guys,

Next week 18-23rd im looking to go up the north east and check out a few areas for some panning in the rivers and creeks. Still trying to make up my mind where exactly to visit but I think I would like to try around Mangana, Mathinna, Alberton, Lisle, Lefroy and maybe some others. I am very open to suggestions! As much for the panning Im looking forward to seeing all these places I have never visited. Mainly I will be panning for gold and also on the lookout for sapphires, topaz, garnet, etc.

Would really enjoy a bit of company if anyone is keen to join in :) Also feel free to drop hints or suggestions of places to visit. Including old and interesting sites like mine workings, nice natural features, camp sites or lookouts. I have the whole week off work so pretty flexible if anyone would like to come and join in.

Cheers!

ratters

Postby ratters » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:20 am

A bit of an update on my travels last week. I did a journey all around the north east, at least half of it was just from a tourist perspective but i managed a bit of time prospecting and fossicking too. Spent half a day wandering about Lisle, a day at Weld river, and a couple of days making visits to Gladstone, Sth Mt Cameron, Derby, Alberton and Mathinna. Some really amazing forests and scenery up that way. I guess it pays to be armed with as much info as possible because I was often stumped as to where the likely creeks and things were. Also I found that in Lisle and Gladstone in particular pretty much every small creek was dry so it made the going hard but I did find a few spoils nonetheless! Cheers.

daniel

Postby daniel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi ratters looks like you have enjoyed yourself here on the east coast,next time you want to have a go please do give me a call,i would love to have someone show me the ropes a bit as i am a very very first novice. I did try a couple places for gold and saphires near mangana and on the weld river but havent been able to find anything bigger then a pin head in shaphire and after perhaps 30 od pans breking my back found about 6 very very tiny specks of gold needing a magnifying glass to see them. I am keen to give it another go. So please yes do get in touch. Thanks for your consideration. Cheers . Daniel

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:16 am

im keen to have a look around the North Golconda to St Patricks area this Monday or Tuesday. can pick up anyone from Devonport to Launceston on the way.

i managed a late day at Golconda with Kane and lily last week and we missed both the star and Golconda Field by a few hundred meters. doh! WE went in blind pretty much so pure um, exploration :) We did the den range as well and every road on the den. While it was fruitless almost. the simularities between the slates on the den range North and the savage river slates for me where pretty awesome. Same material, different orogany paths. And, way more deformed. If not or dont have time, im happy to cruise up myself.

Matt22

Postby Matt22 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:35 pm

admin wrote:im keen to have a look around the North Golconda to St Patricks area this Monday or Tuesday. can pick up anyone from Devonport to Launceston on the way.

i managed a late day at Golconda with Kane and lily last week and we missed both the star and Golconda Field by a few hundred meters. doh! WE went in blind pretty much so pure um, exploration :) We did the den range as well and every road on the den. While it was fruitless almost. the simularities between the slates on the den range North and the savage river slates for me where pretty awesome. Same material, different orogany paths. And, way more deformed. If not or dont have time, im happy to cruise up myself.

Did you have much luck in the St Patricks area?

Philski

Postby Philski » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:33 am

Hi Matt

I still havnt been for a good look sorry. I went up to Lottah last week and drove past twice but only scanned the terrain around mount barrow for ways in.
Its based on one of Ralph Bottrills reports and was mentioned in the scottsdale batholith project or one of the reports they used. but historically most of the activity was north of the area so not sure. I have only spent a few hours on the ground in the area north of there with Kane but feel its worth examining better. Just time for me. 16 hour day at work today and another hour of driving there and home. Tomorrow ditto.

But im always keen. I will try and get up these days off and report what i find.

night
Phillip

Matt22

Postby Matt22 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:54 pm

Thanks for the info mate. I do a lot of fishing up that way, always thought it looked good. I did a bit of research on the MRT the other week whilst on night shift. There has been a lot of test drilling in the St Patricks area. Has been mixed results, not big enough to start a large scale operation, but no doubt enough to keep us entertained :D