Keen for an October Dig!!

Tasmanian Gemstone and mineral specimen Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

Rhoda

Keen for an October Dig!!

Post by Rhoda » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:32 am

Hey guys, my partner and I are heading up to Weldborough on the 25th of October for the long weekend. We're both really green when it comes to finding gems as we've only had a go at it a few times. We were wondering if anyone with experience would be willing to lend a few hours of your time just to show two novices how you go about it. We don't need to know your "secret spots", we just need to know for sure what we are doing is correct. We can meet anywhere around the area when we are up there. I've done research and watched the tutorials for advice, which helped on the first two trips. Just wanting to see other methods and generally stalk you for advice! Cheers guys

Dave79

Re: Keen for an October Dig!!

Post by Dave79 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:45 pm

I'd like to get back up there soon but will have to see how work turns out a bit closer. There's a great camp ground just over the frome rd bridge where I usually stay.
Prospecting must be like fishing, the big one always gets away!

Firepanther

Post by Firepanther » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:18 am

The campground there is where i usually stay too. I'll be heading there on the 20th of Oct. Probaly go searching other creeks and rivers then come to weld at end of day

Dave79

Post by Dave79 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:16 pm

rps20181015_170730.jpg
Had a bit of a go this weekend. Didn't get far off the beaten track or work too hard but managed a couple of bits of topaz crystal that look ok. The big ones out there, just not where I've been digging!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Prospecting must be like fishing, the big one always gets away!

warrenaw

Post by warrenaw » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:39 am

Darned good show!!

Rhoda

Post by Rhoda » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:10 pm

Yeah nice work Dave79!! We are up for 4 days starting next Thursday. We will spend a bit of time in the Weld, but we are keen to hit up some of the other creeks and rivers up there too. We are just trying to work out access areas for other spots as we aren't local and don't want to go where we aren't allowed to. We both have licences though so I guess as long as we do our research, we should be okay.

Firepanther

Post by Firepanther » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:48 am

Hey Rhoda. I use this site to determine where i can go.
https://www.sttas.com.au/forest-operati ... map-viewer
Just click on the permanent timber production zone option under map then zoom in to where you want to go. Area should be shaded once you click the option.