weekend trip in search for gemstones.

Tasmanian Gemstone and mineral specimen Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

cybran

weekend trip in search for gemstones.

Post by cybran » Sun May 18, 2014 2:22 pm

I am keen for a trip out to derby next weekend on Saturday if any one is interested in joining me.

cybran

Re: weekend trip in search for gemstones.

Post by cybran » Thu May 22, 2014 10:44 pm

I am still going to derby direction this Saturday if any one is interested in joining me let me know. I'll be chasing mainly sapphires but would love to find a few rare specimens.

Philski

Post by Philski » Thu May 22, 2014 11:44 pm

Hi mate i would love to, but have to work.

Fox

Post by Fox » Fri May 23, 2014 11:36 am

Hi Cybran, I would love to join you also but unfortunately have other commitments this weekend. Was thinking of heading to Derby next weekend in search of sapphires & topaz. Hope you find someone to share the experience & good luck fossicking.

Cheers, Fox

cybran

Post by cybran » Fri May 23, 2014 2:33 pm

Next time then Phillip
Phil
Anyone else interested in joining me this weekend?
Don't want to go on my own as it is very boring.

Burbury

Post by Burbury » Tue May 27, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi cybran , interested in knowing if you got to Derby last wkend ? and if so how are the water levels in the Ringarooma and weld ?
sort of keen to get up that way again for a fossic before the big rains eh- might already be too late .
Cheers Burbury.

cybran

Post by cybran » Tue May 27, 2014 11:34 pm

I didn't get to go on the weekend just been because I had no one to go with and its a long way to go on your own.

Fox

Post by Fox » Sat May 31, 2014 2:50 pm

G'day Cybran, I decided to postpone my trip to Derby this weekend due to a bad head cold which I would prefer not to pass on to someone else. Weather permitting I may be heading that way in two weeks time to do a bit of gem prospecting.
You or anyone else are welcome to join us. However, I will be travelling via Pipers River and Bridport so it may be best to meet at Scottsdale or Derby.

cybran

Post by cybran » Sat May 31, 2014 11:54 pm

Hey all I got the chance to go this weekend and I found some beautiful sapphires and a massive clear stone. Unsure what the clear stone is, at first I thought it might just be glass but it seems to thick for any glass items I can think of. Maybe with some photos someone might be able to help me identify it.

Burbury

Post by Burbury » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:36 pm

Send some pics if you can , might be topaz ? or a clear saph . a scratch test might identify it as well. if you are in the Weld
then it could be anything , I found several pieces of glass there last year - one was green and I thought it was peridot -olivine .
had me fooled cause it had been tumbling around for some time and no sharp edges anywhere , will post some pics sometime.
if the weather is kind and anyone is heading I could be keen ! play it by ear . how are the water levels ?/
Cheers B.