weekend trip in search for gemstones.

Tasmanian Gemstone and mineral specimen Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

cybran

Re: weekend trip in search for gemstones.

Post by cybran » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Myself and a few others are going on a trip this coming weekend to the weld river for sapphires. All are welcome.
Please post on here if you will be joining us. The location I have chosen for this trip is a little deep in spots but easily accessible if you just take off your shoes. I myself prefer to use my neoprene waders so I stay dry and warm. I have had great success in this location and there is plenty to go around for everyone. Last time I was there I found a beautiful 7mm- 7mm dark blue sapphire in just a few small shovels. We will be meeting up in Scottsdale in the morning for a chat and maybe a coffee before we start our adventure and all that's missing is more people to join us.

Burbury

Post by Burbury » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:43 pm

Cheers . I will be watching the weather , it,s a 4hr trip for me and under the pump at work but very keen ! know a spot myself
should be ok . did well there in feb. might need wood or a chainsaw I reckon.
Burbury

cybran

Post by cybran » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:54 pm

Your right. I'll be taking my saw just in case. There is also a part of the road that has collapsed so would be good to fill it in with a few logs to cross it. Everyone who is interested in joining us we are going to a designated prospecting area and as such do not require a prospecting license if that helps a few people out.

Burbury

Post by Burbury » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:29 pm

forecasting snow showers above 1000m that area Friday on ! I camped where that track has collapsed -- not pretty ? in fact the road is undercut and quite dangerous so I would be very carefull . if the old tin mine next to it fills I guess it will become a lot worse.
in saying that I did not much good around that area --up or down ! found down river a lot better , b'tween there and the camp area , if you drive down the old track on the right at campsite to the end and head down river 100 yrds or so there is some good pickings under the cobbles .
Cheers Burbury.

cybran

Post by cybran » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:46 pm

My self and my best friend went there only a few weekends ago and found a really good spot at the collapsed road on the other side of the river there is a spot that you can clearly see someone has been there but they made a big mistake. They were searching the loose gravel on the surface and my guess is found little if nothing. I moved all the loose gravel and found a really good base about 150 down and dug that and that is where I found all my beauties. Thanks for the info burbry I'll keep the weather in mind. Fire sounds highly likely.