Sapphires from Lisle

Tasmanian Gemstone and mineral specimen Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

ratters

Sapphires from Lisle

Post by ratters » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi All,

In case anyone was wondering there are sapphires at Lisle, I happened to get lucky my last trip out that way. The occurrence is mentioned in one of the old reports (twelvetrees i think) and mentioned small sapphires in the wash. Well these ones certainly are small. And I have also found a mostly clear amethyst crystal with a flash of purple at the tip. Again very small, about 8mm x 2mm. They are kind of hard to spot amongst the hundreds of spinel, but im tempted now to go back and have a good look through a bucket of dirt i have sitting around that i panned the gold out of. I wouldn't say Lisle was the go-to place for sapphires because these are the first I have seen after a few trips out that way but at least we know they are there.

Here are the sapphires

Fox

Re: Sapphires from Lisle

Post by Fox » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:20 pm

Well done, Ratters. I have only ever seen a bit of black spinel & small zircons out there but never sapphires. Have been focussed mainly on that yellow stuff that seems to always get caught up in the corner of my pan. :)

mfdes

Post by mfdes » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:23 am

Awesome! Apparently the only certified rubies ever found in Tassie came from the Lisle gold wash. I'm keen to do a trip up that way soon and combine some Lisle panning and Lefroy/Back Creek detecting...

Philski

Post by Philski » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:57 pm

That blue is more beautiful than anything ive ever seen from Ceylon. like a deep cornflower blue. stunning stuff.

Burbury

Post by Burbury » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:24 pm

I will be heading to NE for some gemstones in about 2 weeks for a few days if anyone is interested ? i will camp at the Weld camp area weather permiting. time to wet the sieves ! i have an area in mind that produces some fair stones --all welcome . will post dates here - maybe 6th sept to 10th or so .
Cheers Burbury.