NE sapphires

Tasmanian Gemstone and mineral specimen Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

dug

NE sapphires

Post by dug » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:28 pm

Had 2 1/2 days up the NE of Tas looking for sapphires in some rivers and creeks. Didn't find any really good cutters, at least not enough to cover my now departed wetsuit long johns ;)

But it was great weather up there, such mild nights I had shorts on till well into the night.

Still have 2 buckets of heavies to sort through with the wife and kids, they love looking for the "beudies" in the spinel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dazza

Re: NE sapphires

Post by Dazza » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:57 pm

hi dug ,well done some beautiful clean gems there ,looks like you got onto a top spot ,worth another go i recon while the weathers good, i love the yabby , the creek looks like a hot spot , i wonder if there's any gold in it ?keep up the good work , dazza.

loverr01

Post by loverr01 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:16 am

Some nice finds there bud! goodwork :D

dug

Post by dug » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:22 am

Dazza there may well be some gold in the creek. Over the ridge there was a gold/tin mine. The whole area round there was hit very hard by the tin miners back in the day. There are old working all over almost every creek/river we went to.

It would be good to get up there again, I had to cut the trip short by 2 days which I wasn't happy about.... there is always next time though.

dug

Post by dug » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:51 am

Dad and I got a couple of hours away over easter in a river near weldbrough. Then a few days later the whole family went for a look just out of gladstone for smoky quartz. No really nice stones found but it was good to get out there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.