Gemstones /sapphires at priory?

Tasmanian Gemstone and mineral specimen Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

Jimbo5885

Gemstones /sapphires at priory?

Postby Jimbo5885 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:37 pm

G'day everybody,
I'm curious to know more about sapphires in the priory and the gardens area? From what I've read and people I've spoken to I get mixed reports! Also Phil mentioned some sapphires being found in hard rock just a few years ago, I don't really understand the significance of this( but sounds exciting!!) so it just adds to the curiosity!! I have obtained permission from the tenanment holder so I will be having a look for myself, but if anyone has any info they can share regarding the greater prior area I would love to hear.
Cheers and thanks
Jim

mfdes

Re: Gemstones /sapphires at priory?

Postby mfdes » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi Jim,

Priory sapphires are a fairly recent find, and the locations aren't all that well known. Have a chat to Ron, who has the licence, and he might be able to point you in the right direction. There's plenty of chance to do some true prospecting out there, and find new occurrences.

Keep an eye out for spinel in the heavy mineral part of the wash, which is the most common indicator mineral.

Good luck!

Miguel

Jimbo5885

Postby Jimbo5885 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks miguel
I have permission from Ron and he told me he has just relinquished a fairly large area of his tenanment, but I'm definitely going to have a good look around!! That's half the fun anyway!! I'm still keen to catch up if you're down this way sometime.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:45 pm

I'll definitely be going up, but not till October.

I'll post here.

ratters

Postby ratters » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:32 pm

I've put a fair bit of effort into researching and pondering over this very thing myself. Am yet to make a field trip to Priory but I have a few areas in mind, so I'm happy to share my thoughts on it and tag along if anyone is going out that way.

Jimbo5885

Postby Jimbo5885 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:37 pm

G'day ratters
Yeah it's an interesting spot! Alot of stories and not many facts!! Worth a good look!Like I said to miguel I'm keen to catch up with anyone as it's difficult to get out in the bush with two little kids!! I work for myself so I'm available most times, probably shouldn't put work of in favour of prospecting but I have got the bug!!ha ha

Albertross

Postby Albertross » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:49 pm

Hi ,did any of you guys get out and have a look at priory?? Cheers Al

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:48 am

Hi Albert,
Yes, there's been a fair bit of exploration in the area. The tenement holder has done some bulk work to assess grades. The alluvial deposits that are reachable by fossickers are fairly small, though, and the main creek where the diggings were is getting close to exhausted.
Interesting to see what these floods have done for the NE rivers. The fossicking should be pretty good the next few months.

Albertross

Postby Albertross » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:18 am

Thanks very much for the info,and yes there has been some serious rain in the hills,be interested to see how high the water levels reached and how long it will take to subside. should be great prospecting looking forward to getting out there

blisters

Postby blisters » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:44 pm

Hi. There used to be a sapphire mine, presumably alluvial, at the headwaters of powells rivulet near the junction of ericsons and argonaught roads. This was once or still is the top end of thureaus deep lead which winds around the modern day georges river to the back of stoneyford where the obvious signs of past mining activities scars the landscape. past royal ruby flats we have found very small sapphires there of fantastic blues and equally vivid reds. Sent samples of the black sands to mrt for analysis which came back with several rare earths. Was talking to a guy whos Family have lived at priory for generations and he recons there are sappires in bread and butter gully which is the gully that runs through the last paddock on the left hand side at priory heading nth on ansons bay road before the quarry then old tin workings. I read somewhere at mrt that the saphs there are supposed to be the purest in tasmania and part of the blue tier system. We would stoked to hear if anyone else has found anything around the area!