[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tasmanian Prospecting • View topic - Gemstones /sapphires at priory?
  • Tasmanian Prospecting
    Tasmanian Prospecting Forum
Change font size
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:56 pm
Select variation:

Gemstones and Mineral Specimens

Gemstones /sapphires at priory?

Tasmanian Gemstone and mineral specimen Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

by Jimbo5885 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:37 pm

G'day everybody,
I'm curious to know more about sapphires in the priory and the gardens area? From what I've read and people I've spoken to I get mixed reports! Also Phil mentioned some sapphires being found in hard rock just a few years ago, I don't really understand the significance of this( but sounds exciting!!) so it just adds to the curiosity!! I have obtained permission from the tenanment holder so I will be having a look for myself, but if anyone has any info they can share regarding the greater prior area I would love to hear.
Cheers and thanks
Jim
Jimbo5885

by mfdes » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi Jim,

Priory sapphires are a fairly recent find, and the locations aren't all that well known. Have a chat to Ron, who has the licence, and he might be able to point you in the right direction. There's plenty of chance to do some true prospecting out there, and find new occurrences.

Keep an eye out for spinel in the heavy mineral part of the wash, which is the most common indicator mineral.

Good luck!

Miguel
Check out my website about prospecting in Tasmania:

mfdes

by Jimbo5885 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks miguel
I have permission from Ron and he told me he has just relinquished a fairly large area of his tenanment, but I'm definitely going to have a good look around!! That's half the fun anyway!! I'm still keen to catch up if you're down this way sometime.
Jimbo5885

by mfdes » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:45 pm

I'll definitely be going up, but not till October.

I'll post here.
Check out my website about prospecting in Tasmania:

mfdes

by ratters » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:32 pm

I've put a fair bit of effort into researching and pondering over this very thing myself. Am yet to make a field trip to Priory but I have a few areas in mind, so I'm happy to share my thoughts on it and tag along if anyone is going out that way.
ratters

by Jimbo5885 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:37 pm

G'day ratters
Yeah it's an interesting spot! Alot of stories and not many facts!! Worth a good look!Like I said to miguel I'm keen to catch up with anyone as it's difficult to get out in the bush with two little kids!! I work for myself so I'm available most times, probably shouldn't put work of in favour of prospecting but I have got the bug!!ha ha
Jimbo5885

Return to Gemstones and Mineral Specimens

User Menu

Login

Prospectors and Miners Association Of Tasmania
Sheffield Rifle Club