First time fossicking.

Tasmanian Gemstone and mineral specimen Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

Desurf

First time fossicking.

Postby Desurf » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:35 pm

image.jpeg
First time finds
Hi all, had some fun today with the girlfriend gem fossicking for the first time ever. Travelled to the Derby/Moorina area. I am hoping someone can help I.d the gems in the photo. I realise the blue ones are sapphires but not sure if the green one are sapphires as well. The last one is a stone with some gold on it. Thanks for letting me be part of this forum as its been a great help.

Cheers Desurf.

Burbury

Re: First time fossicking.

Postby Burbury » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:31 pm

Hi Desurf. Happy to hear you and your girlfriend enjoyed the experience .Fossicking and Prospecting are a great pastime as well as enjoying the outdoors you get the thrill of finding your own gems and gold eh ! welcome to the forum . you will find many likeminded people here whom are only too pleased to pass on their knowledge and welcome you . have a look at PMAT as well , we are growing all the time , field trips will be happening from time to time and gives us all a chance to meet .The green ones look like sapphire to me , however you can get olivine - peridot in the area , some nice topaz there as well and the gold is intriguing from there , like to have a closer look sometime , Well Done .
Cheers Burbury.

ratters

Re: First time fossicking.

Postby ratters » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:08 pm

Great finds mate! In the past I have tossed away a few dubious looking green bits thinking they looked a lot like smashed bottle glass but there are definitely green sapphires around, I have a few very small ones but those look like a good size so well done. I recently found a thin piece of hollow hexagonal green glass from over 1m deep in gravel of a small creek that feeds into main creek. Funny what turns up from time to time, i thought it might have been a Chinese relic perhaps.