Hi all.

Tasmanian Gemstone and mineral specimen Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

james85

Hi all.

Postby james85 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:39 pm

Hey. Ive been gold panning for a little while now and am interested in looking for some other minerals, gems or crystals. Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as ive never looked for these before and dont know where to start. Im in devonport so anywhere in the nw would be good.
Thanks

troglodyte

Re: Hi all.

Postby troglodyte » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi James, Im interested in gems as well. Around Moina is a good spot for crystal so im told, haven't been up there for a look yet.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:56 pm

The landowners around Sisters Creek near Sisters Beach and Boat Harbour used to let people fossick, and it's meant to have been pretty good for zircons and sapphires. It's all private property though, and I hear the best is all under farm dams now.

There are records of sapphires from quite a few north-west rivers, but it's a bit far from where I live so I've never looked into it. The place to go for sapphire these days is the northeast around Derby-Weldborough-Moorina.

Gladstone still produces good smoky quartz, but you have to walk off the easy areas and look for old alluvial workings.

Penguin is great for jasper, still producing good stuff. I'll be writing up a post about Penguin jasper on my page next week. Have a look at the Fossicking Areas page and booklet on the MRT website, there's good stuff there, free for anyone to go, no licence required.

Smokey joe

Postby Smokey joe » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:03 am

Try the mines on dolcoath hill. There is
still good quartz and smokey quartz to
be found without to much effort.
Good access, you can pretty much drive
right to some of them.