Hello from newbie and help identifying

Tasmanian Gemstone and mineral specimen Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

Albertross

Hello from newbie and help identifying

Postby Albertross » Wed May 18, 2016 8:24 pm

Hi to all!! New to gemstone fossicking as I live reasonably close to moorina ,had some really good finds recently and must admit feeling stoked was lots of fun. I will post some pics when gf sends me pics,one quite large clear rock and another with a purple tinge. However the pic I'm posting to find out what is ,is from the past, all I can identify is the petrified wood. Would like to know what the others are. Thanks in advance Al
Attachments
image.jpg

blisters

Re: Hello from newbie and help identifying

Postby blisters » Sat May 21, 2016 9:47 am

Hi newbie. Not sure what they are although we have have found numerous large specimens around the tailings dumps at the mutual bridge. not sure if they had any smelters at Derby back in the day but have the appearance of slag out of the smelters. we would be interested to know as well!!!

Albertross

Postby Albertross » Tue May 24, 2016 11:05 am

Cheers for reply blisters,just to clarify the glassy looking specimens were found near cygnet.

blisters

Postby blisters » Thu May 26, 2016 8:18 am

Hi again. I can see the shine on the cleavage of them. When you say glassy, are they translucent at all? Stu

Albertross

Postby Albertross » Fri May 27, 2016 12:51 pm

Hi Stu ,no !

blisters

Postby blisters » Sat May 28, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi. MRTs 'tasmanian gemstone localities' file recons that they get agate all through that area down there. We have found a little black agate around the st helens area that looks similar. The cleavage on the specimens in the pics look like agate cleavage where-as if it was obsidian being a natural glass the cleavage would a little more ragged looking and not as clean cut as your pics show i would be thinking! Nice specimens anyway.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Tue May 31, 2016 1:41 pm

I don't think those are agate, I'd agree with your first comment about slag.

Albertross

Postby Albertross » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:15 pm

Thanks for the input Miguel. Here's a couple of cool rocks. The smaller one is transparent and has away feel look to it. The other looks like Quartz ?? Cheers Al
Attachments
image.jpg