Tasmanian mineral specimens

Tasmanian Gemstone and mineral specimen Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

Pocketbuster

Tasmanian mineral specimens

Postby Pocketbuster » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Gday everyone just wondering what kind of mineral specimens people have found if your willing to share I've found agates Chalcedony PetrifiedWood and one quartz crystal cluster I've heard of gem quality tourmalines fluorite beryl Azurite malachite but I've never seen anyone that has found any dose anyone have any nice Tasmanian specimens they'd like to share cheers Chris

Explora

Re: Tasmanian mineral specimens

Postby Explora » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:57 pm

Hey,

I spend most of my fossicking time in the north east tin fields, so rarely get anything more than alluvial stones. Some of the oddities I have found are:

- Pink sapphire and purple sapphire
- Ruby (not to be confused with red zircon)
- Orange and blue bi colour sapphire
- Green chrysoberyl (cat's eye)

No doubt I am just scratching the surface. I would be interested to know what other coloured stones have turned up in people's sieves over time.

Pocketbuster

Postby Pocketbuster » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 am

Great work mate I've seen some excellent topaz crystals from moina I've heard of azurite and malachite in and around the scamander river the whole north east of tassie is a treasure trove just like the west coast

Explora

Postby Explora » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:06 pm

In the north east alluvials, I have collected topaz in three colours:

- white (clear)
- pale yellow
- pale blue

Apparently you can get a pale pink variety on Flinders Island and a pale brown at Moina, though never seen either. A pink topaz would be a great find.

I have also heard that spinel (which usually comes in black) can be picked up in the tin fields in other colours, including purple.

Some others I forgot to mention: orange garnet, red garnet, green peridot. I have found all three in gem quality.

In terms of the rainbow, the alluvial gems in the north east are:

Red: zircon, ruby, garnet, gemmy cassiterite
Orange: zircon, garnet, sapphire
Yellow: sapphire, topaz (pale)
Green: sapphire, peridot, chrysoberyl
Blue: sapphire, topaz
Purple: sapphire, amethyst, (possibly spinel too)
Pink: sapphire, (zircon too, but more rose pink than proper pink)

PS ... if anyone's got any unusual coloured stones feel free to post a pic and hopefully someone on the forum will be able to ID it.

Pocketbuster

Postby Pocketbuster » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:11 pm

I've seen blue and kind of orange colored topaz from moina those garnets sounds nice I'm in Queensland at the moment and I managed to get fulleteron river purple garnet spinel can be a range of different colours I've only seen black though maybe the purple sapphires are spinel I would love to get my hands on some chrysoberyl and gemmy cassiterite also sounds nice

Pocketbuster

Postby Pocketbuster » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:14 pm

20171230_200614.jpg
Purple garnet Fullerton river QLD

alwayslookin

Postby alwayslookin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi,
I do a bit of gem fossicking in the NE but mostly gold. In Tassie I have picked up sapphire, zircon, topaz, garnet, smokey and clear quartz, calcite, spinel, fossil shells, heaps of stuff I couldn't identify and gold. I have found some small peridot but not worth keeping, and I think I found some turquoise once but can't seem to find it again. I would love to have a crack at finding some tourmaline, it cuts up very nice.
Cheers

Pocketbuster

Postby Pocketbuster » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Sounds like you've found afew nice stones mate me and my brother have 3 metal detector minelab X terra 705 minelab CTX3030 minelab SDC1200 haven't found any gold in tassie yet though I borrowed a book from a friend and it said there is green tourmaline at Mount Montgomery near penguin

PatHogen

Postby PatHogen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:24 am

Anyone going to give a rough location guide to dig or wash for topaz at Moina? It would be very well received. Might even end up with, or highly likely would end up with, a cut topaz for their effort.

Pocketbuster

Postby Pocketbuster » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:48 am

Gday pat I have a book that describes how to get to a digging location at moina I'll take a photo shortly and post it up for you