Beaconsfield relics???

Coin and Treasure hunting in Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

Dave79

Beaconsfield relics???

Post by Dave79 » Sun May 06, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi, I'm new to the Beaconsfield area and the birthday fairy bought me a nice Minelab Equinox this year so I'm keen to get out and about treasure hunting before it gets too cold and wet... and even after it gets cold and wet! If anyone else in the central northern area is up for some hunting with company let me know. Also like to do a bit of panning, mineral collecting and checking out old mines.
Prospecting must be like fishing, the big one always gets away!

Dave79

Re: Beaconsfield relics???

Post by Dave79 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:00 am

IMG_20180522_084213.jpg
Well, the equinox seems to be the metal detector for dummies. Found these over the last few weekends without changing anything from the factory preset modes. Have had a bit of a go for gold around Lefroy but I think the gold mode might take a bit of time to master.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drystone

Post by drystone » Wed May 30, 2018 6:29 pm

That's a good haul for a day out, well done

Dave79

Post by Dave79 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:08 pm

That was a couple of days worth and there's been a couple of 22c days in between!

warrenaw

Post by warrenaw » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:24 am

A very nice haul. Well done.
What are the top 3 coins? Is there enough to identify them?

Dave79

Post by Dave79 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Ones another 53 shilling and I can just make out 1890 on the penny. That and the half penny have been in the salty river too long and are pretty had it. Got a few old buttons the other day. One has got 'rich treble gilt' on the back and from what I can find out it's an early 1800's English made button. The one in the middle has got something like _ _ _HITTIPS DESIGN and 692 on it and I've got no idea what it is.
IMG_20180530_144426.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

junkhunter

Post by junkhunter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:14 pm

Nice work Dave , there has to be lots to found around Beaconsfield as it was such a busy and rich area . I have spent many hours at Lefroy and while gold is like hens teeth for me , i have accumulated a nice collection of relics . Earlier detectorists in the area must have made some beaut finds .

Dave79

Post by Dave79 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:23 pm

Certainly rich in ring pulls and bottle caps! Am slowly learning which signals are worth digging but got a lot too learn. Found very little in know gold bearing areas, think most of them have been pretty well detected in the past. We'll just have to find a reef the old timers missed that isn't on the maps!

junkhunter

Post by junkhunter » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:21 am

Good luck with that reef ! My Nox is a great machine on the beach and very good on grassed areas too , but fails in the bush at places like Lefroy with way to much falsing from sticks getting stuck in the open coil and reacting to mineralization . I am about to have a go at making a solid coil cover to help with the stick situation . The Nox does make you dig more junk but it finds the good stuff too , 11 silver rings , 1 x gold and a gold pendant in the last couple of months for me . Check the Minelab website for their shallow goldie program , looks like it should be just the ticket .

Dave79

Post by Dave79 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:20 pm

Yeah, the sticks in the coil have led to a few wobblies for me too. Couldn't find the shallow goldies program on the minelab site. Where do you go to get to it. Agreed the the nox is a weapon on the beach and grass. How nice is the sound of goldies and old silvers?!! Let us know how the coil cover turns out.