Newbie: Any tips on choosing waders?

Tasmanian Prospecting Forum

Moderator: Philski

rshaules

Newbie: Any tips on choosing waders?

Postby rshaules » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Hey everyone!

My name is Richard and I'm a newbie at prospecting. I've recently purchased a metal detector, and am looking at choosing some waders (or gumboots). I live on the West Coast (Zeehan) and am hoping to explore some of the creeks and rivers around here.

Would anyone be able to recommend any waders to me? There are so many types and brands it's hard to know where to begin.

Thank you!

-Richard

MANINABOAT

Re: Newbie: Any tips on choosing waders?

Postby MANINABOAT » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:47 am

The type for fishing are no good, when you kneel down they go tight at the knee and are not meant for kneeling, which you will do a lot of. Plus they get cold. Either go on line or to your local fishing shop and consider trout fishing type waders. Give it a little time and you will get some answers here. To extend the life of your waders cut out the knees of old waders or wet suits and slide them over your new ones to protect from rocks and softer on your knees.

Dazza

Postby Dazza » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:26 am

Hi maninaboat,I reackon the fly and dry type are the best there made out of the wet suite material there soft on your knees and warm ,but you will get cuts on your knee as the rocks are sharp you won't stop this from happening only put some knee pads on .

blisters

Postby blisters » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:39 am

Hey richard. We bought a couple of pairs of River Works New Zealand waders from tamar marine in launceston a few months back. They are 4mm but more like 7mm i reckon and have Armour Tek coating on them so they dont rip like the others. A robust boot and are super comfy and awesomely warm through the winter we just had. Being a NZ product it's got to be good. 'Up the mighty allblacks'.