new machine: maiden run

Tasmanian Prospecting Forum

Moderator: Philski

drystone

new machine: maiden run

Postby drystone » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi all,
have recently upgraded my detector, so managed to disappear for a days detecting on some old workings E of Mangana/Mathinna ("Miami" and "Miami West") to test out the machine.
Well, no gold found but plenty of corroded iron, brass, copper and lead! I doubt that the workings have seen much detector activity: no holes and abundant targets.
SDC ran well once noise cancelled to reduce effects of EMI, and after a solid 8 hrs, I ran out of puff before the batteries did!
Targets included tiny lead shot 1.5mm in size, so sensitivity is good.
Attached is a pic of typical country and Miami Southern Adit
get out there!
cheers,
Drystone
Attachments
Miami southern adit_AG.jpg
Miami main shaft_AG.jpg

warrenaw

Re: new machine: maiden run

Postby warrenaw » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:08 pm

Sounds much like my experience around the old mines at Salisbury Hill, just Sth of Beaconsfield. Also with the SDC2300. It's awesome, except that, of course, its just as enthusiastic about relics. I have some lovely square nails, railway spikes and bits of track at home from one of the mines there.
Weakened and got a Garrett 400i, just to be able to tell iron from non ferrous metals. Its new to me, but that way, I can eliminate iron and a lot of digging time,when searching for gold. Shotgun pellets still show up more or less same as gold. Of course, since purchasing the 400i, it's rained nearly every day, and haven't been able to properly put plan into action. I know there's gold at Salisbury Hill. Nearly always something if you pan for the stuff, albeit just flakes and flour gold. Lots of areas overgrown probably never have seen a detector in many years. The 2300 is an awesome machine, and I hope the 400i can compliment it nicely.

MANINABOAT

Re: new machine: maiden run

Postby MANINABOAT » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:22 pm

drystone wrote:Hi all,
have recently upgraded my detector, so managed to disappear for a days detecting on some old workings E of Mangana/Mathinna ("Miami" and "Miami West") to test out the machine.
Well, no gold found but plenty of corroded iron, brass, copper and lead! I doubt that the workings have seen much detector activity: no holes and abundant targets.
SDC ran well once noise cancelled to reduce effects of EMI, and after a solid 8 hrs, I ran out of puff before the batteries did!
Targets included tiny lead shot 1.5mm in size, so sensitivity is good.
Attached is a pic of typical country and Miami Southern Adit
get out there!
cheers,
Drystone
Thanks for the story, always interesting to read about these outings. :)