PMAT field trip to Weld River

Moderator: Philski

mfdes

PMAT field trip to Weld River

Postby mfdes » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:07 am

Hi everyone,
The second PMAT field trip and quarterly meeting is coming up on the 7th of May!
This time we'll be going to the Moorina Fossicking Area to look for gemstones: sapphires, topaz and zircons. It's the perfect excuse for a weekend away in the beautiful northeast.
This field trip is free for PMAT members. If you're not in PMAT yet, why not come over for the field trip and meeting, and join the association on the 7th of May? For more info see http://www.pmat.org.au/event/field-trip ... ossicking/

taurusjustin

Re: PMAT field trip to Weld River

Postby taurusjustin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:12 pm

I am looking forward to meeting u all. Will u have the membership forms there on the day Thanks ? And where will we meet as I don't know the area to well thanks

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:25 am

The plan is to meet on the site, it's not hard to find. We can arrange to meet somewhere else a little earlier if it's easier. For example the Moorina Cemetery might be a good place. However it's no harder to get to the Weld River Bridge on Frome Road.
We will have membership forms there on the day.

taurusjustin

Postby taurusjustin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:48 pm

Sounds good I'll be there, I'm looking forward to learning about all the gems down there

ron

Postby ron » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:55 am

Hi Miguel

what is the annual subscription cost? I need to bring cash or do you accept spinel as payment?

jason

Postby jason » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:02 pm

im going for a look should be fun from jason

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Hi Ron,

It's $20. At this point in time we accept only legal tender ;-)

pdantix

Postby pdantix » Tue May 03, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi guys :)

My name is Neil, new member to the forum and pretty much a complete newbie to fossicking and prospecting.

I was just wondering if newbies are welcome to come along/join? It would be great to meet some people with a bit of experience and learn a few tips and tricks. I'm still a little bit confused as to where exactly to look and haven't had much success yet. Hoping to do a bit better now that I have a proper set of sieves though, haha!

So yeah, I'd love to come along and would be keen to join if welcome,

Cheers :)

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Thu May 05, 2016 10:04 am

Hi Neil,

The trip is open to PMAT members, and you're welcome to join PMAT on the day, if you wish. The cost of membership is $20 per year.
Sieves make it easier for sure, you can make do with a pan when you start out, but you won't process a lot of material, and if you're hoping to find a good stone, it's all about tonnage! :-)

pdantix

Postby pdantix » Fri May 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Thanks for the reply mate :) as long as there are no pre-requisites I've missed I'd love to join; I've even had the membership form printed out for about a week now and already have 20 sitting aside ready to go, haha!

Really looking forward to meeting you guys and learning a bit, I've nearly read your blog top to bottom and it is very helpful, though the best I've done so far is a couple of nice (to me) pieces of quartz/smoky(?) and a near perfect water worn sphere of (I think) basalt, which was a pretty cool find :D

hoping the weather will be kind now that we've had a good rinse, too! I'll see you in the morning :D