Osmiridium locations

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

indi

Osmiridium locations

Post by indi » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 am

Just new to gold and osmiridium prospecting but been looking for gemstones around tasmania for years as anyone got any accessible areas to go where i have a chance in locating a little bit of osmiridium

junkhunter

Re: Osmiridium locations

Post by junkhunter » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:37 am

Don't know if Philski checks in here much any more but i reckon he would know plenty about osmiridium . A pm to him might be your best bet .

warrenaw

Post by warrenaw » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:31 pm

You can pan for osmiridium where the track crosses McGinty Creek
and above and below there in the gravels.
Nearly as heavy as gold. If you are lucky, you can get the odd bit
with gold on one side and the ossie on the other.
About a 1/2 km walk from where you can park off Waratah road.
Across McGinty Crk, about 10 or 20 meters, you can find a track
to the left which will take you parallel to McGinty Crk down to
Nineteen Mile crk, which was a major source of ossie.
There's a great book about it all called. On The Ossie, by Nic
Haygarth. Somewhere around $40 and worth every cent.
Ozzie location circled.jpg
Purcells Workings and Caudry's Creek, both on the map, were sites where ossie was mined.
I have never been to either of these locations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Philski

Post by Philski » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:31 am

Hi all..

Rileys is pretty close to the road. But, under tenerment, venture minerals, and i have asked but not recieved a reply yet. Biggest nugget was an ounce at Rilyes on the Bastion road ) wilson river field. Ninteen mile was bigger and Adamsfield was the richest.

Just be careful not to go too far accross 19 mile creek. The national park is close by.

Dr Nic Haygarth has written some outstanding historical insights into these areas and there is an osmiridium deposit book from mrt.
http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/mrtdoc/dominf ... GSB32.pdf
There is osmiridium at Doctors Rocks. Its a super easy place to get to but v tiny. Best there is in the centre at low tide and a bit left as deep as you can get. i think it came down from the Bald hill area driven by the 80km wide glacier that abutted the Aurther linearment, that coincadently ends at Doctors rocks. And, not up from the sea as some have speculated in the past. McGinty's creek has some seriously beautiful rock workings and you can see McGintys rockwork in the Rocky river as well. You just know the same successful prospectors hands that built it. Its one area of the "Tarkine" that should be protected. I know that Bob Browns recent greeny look at me tree sitter mate has ruined some possom familys habitat.

indi

Post by indi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:36 am

Just want to say thank you to you guys is it ok i message you both

Fox

Post by Fox » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:08 am

Roaring Meg Ck which flows into Heazelwood River carries a little Ossie and gold. However, being so close to the Corinna Rd means that most of the bedrock crevices have been cleaned out. There's always a chance that heavy rains will bring down fresh material though.
Also, small amounts of Ossie have been found in Creeks around tbe Beaconsfield / Salisbury area.