the pieman

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Razorback

Re: the pieman

Postby Razorback » Wed May 15, 2013 7:46 pm

WheresWally wrote:
As nice as it would be to jump out of your car in the k'mart car park and trip over a nugget its just not ever going to happen, much like prospecting just off the road on the whyte and savage rivers, everyone has done that, but head 23klms up a river, set up camp, spend a day hiking through some of the densest bushland you have ever seen and you get to places that you know very few have ever been and those that have, didn't come packing the technology we have today. Just my take on things of course.

Well you summed up my Tassie prospecting experience so far. Dense bush and nothing left for the feint hearted, but I agree, plenty left for the brave and curious. Even the old timers got turned back by the Tassie bush now and then, fortune favours the brave Id say.

acfish

Postby acfish » Thu May 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Greetings,
thanks to WheresWally and phil for some helpful info. Much appreciated!
Looking at planning a trip when the days are longer and warmer,
the idea of boating upstream from corinna is very appealing.

The long plains/ golden ridge area looks pretty interesting spot to try and swing a detector, but having trouble pinpointing its exact location on the map. And if it is under any leases.
Any help?

www.mrt.tas.gov.au/mrtdoc/dominfo/downl ... 994_28.pdf

cheers,
ac

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri May 31, 2013 9:39 pm

hi all

if you want a good little inside tip... Gutries creek on the main road towards the north out of Corinna has a parking lot and in under 5 min without even getting your boots wet you can be under a beautiful waterfall finding good gold (fines to course). The gold is under the waterfall. The gravels have been washed down by hydraulics 100 odd years ago and above the water fall is nearly barren and billiard table clean. They did go hard in the old days!
I was going to plunder it myself but hey,, sharing is caring.
photo taken from http://www.davidjennings.net/photos.php ... t=Tasmania

Turn off towards the savage river bridge, cross it and and just before the Bitumen and steep up hill. Gutries Creek "the good bit" is up stream and follows the right branch. The water fall is a few meters distant. The gravels washed up by the waterfall are the richest. The Creek diverges to the left towards None Such Creek and the right is Gutries proper up towards Sabbath Creek. The gravels carry gold from top to bottom.

hope that helps

acfish

Postby acfish » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:39 pm

Thanks for the tips,
much appreciated. another one to mark on the map.
The beginning of winter has got me thinking too much,
Will have to head west for a recon trip soon.
cheers,
Ac

sinister131

Postby sinister131 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi guys
I'm new to the forum but I've already read a wealth of information on here cheers.

I'm very very interested in this post as I've been researching like a book worm on the corinna area and all creeks between the donaldson, savage, and whyte rivers.
I've been tracking down old books from the library or buying them if I can, downloading alot of pdf files off mrt, general Internet research, and slowly mapping all of out onto 1:25000 maps.

All in preparation of a corinna mission. I plan on camping at corinna for a week and using corinna as my base camp.
But I have the gear to 4wd and the gear todo short hikes 1-2 nights.

I'm not asking for anyones hot spots or anything im just wondering if anyone could give me some areas to stay away from due to the oldtimers prospecting areas within an inch of its life or modern day prospectors dredging or cleaning out areas.

The harsh bush and weather is not an issue.

I'm new to prospecting but I've found a few small nuggets and 5grams in the last month or so of prospecting with a pan and basic tools only.

I love the bush and all the history in this area I'm just asking for any helpful hints of advice.

My plan is slowly coming together, just hike through to remote creeks in the area, some that have a rich history and some that are less likely to be cleaned out due to little or no history
I will be doing a big write up after the trip if I'm successful in my hunt.

Cheers guys, awesome forum.

drystone

Postby drystone » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:33 pm

fair warning: some parts of the Pieman are *fun* to get through :o
Attachments
IMG_20170403_152716.jpg

sinister131

Postby sinister131 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:09 am

Thanks drystone, appreciate the warning. That's extremely exhausting bush. But I do spend a lot of time in that type of bush. I've also read the old timers in corinna ran into impossible walls of horizontal, even one fella supposedly died cutting a tunnel through horizontal walls..

Just out of curiosity did you do any good in the corinna area? I really don't know how often its prospected but I assume alot.

Dazza

Postby Dazza » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Re the first post about lovers falls ,I just spent 3 months building at corinna during that time I was taken to that creek and left there for 5 hrs I went from the pieman edge right up to the waterfall with my spiral gold recovery system and got very little gold so that's only a myth ,you can pan gold right on the edge of the pieman just below the township get onto the edges of the small creeks that run into the pieman .

sinister131

Postby sinister131 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks dazza appreciate the reply mate. Have you hiked into many hard to access creeks around the Donaldson, savage, and whyte rivers? I get the impression there is potential to find good gold but it has been mined/prospected alot?

wood

Postby wood » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:32 am

Hi i found that contry upstream soul destroying u should work on about 100 mtrs a hr with 2 or 3 blokes cutting scrub a few of us got within 400 mtr of our targert an reckon it would take6 to 8 hrs to get in there its just a wall of scrub cutting grass tea tree etc the old timers just kept burning an opening tracks i think with fires horses prospectors track cutters etc it would been decent going in its day with what they did in there water races camps stampers boiler water wheels sheds etc lots of manpower i think to paradise lucy rocky etc got a flogging may be in the 80s from workers an familys from savage in its hey day better tracks still open ground more acttive familys no fucking greens people where not frighten to do stuff so what about the GOLD theres a good horse track going up nacys on the left hand side then once u on top welcome to jungle lucy going upstream u get to a gorge then i hope u can turn into spiderman paradise river u get 50 to 100 mtrs in there then the pain begins theres a good track into paradise ck from reece dam side but the ck been flogged all streams will show color amazing country but hard work but i beleive still b good patches in there other problem is u cant swing a detector because of the scrub a few of us still hatching plan for chopper trips in these areas an seems enough interest in doing them but will have to deal with parks an wildfires but thats maybe march april next year will post more so keep an eye on the forum Middletons Fogartys gutheries r all good fun an still show color a 9 grammer came out of Middletons not that long ago the floods last year shifted alot of new dirt cheers an good luck wood