The West Coast

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

admin
Site Admin

The West Coast

Post by admin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:48 am

hi all

I logged a personal milestone on the west coast this month. i've now worked in every existing town on the West Coast. Corinna, Waratah, Tullah, Rosebery, Zeehan, Strahan, Queenstown and near every town in and around the World Heritage Area for good measure. St Clair, Cradle Mountain, Moina, Lemonthyme, Bronte Park and Derwent Bridge.

Anyway, Im now based in Queenstown and have used to opportunity to prospect and explore the area almost daily now. This week the ERA South of Linda allowed me down The King river valley on ancient glacial deposits from near under mount Lyell down to Mount Owen. Gold found and its unique to my prospecting experiences. Its Like rose gold. Every creek and gully running East off those mountains so far has carried gold. And with the vegetation returning to those mountain slopes. There will never be a better time in my lifetime to explore that area than right now. Thats why i jumped at the chance to work down there.

i dont have internet access down their so can only write anything about what i find when i go home.

have a fantastic day
Phillip

admin
Site Admin

Re: The West Coast

Post by admin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:09 am

Its been a remarkable week again.
Queenstown Rocks. The Linda Valley, Raggedy Ann, the airport and Lynch's creek, ERA's and "helpful" Government agency's. its a breathtaking place our West coast. And Queenstown is right up there with the most scenic place ever.

With the hills growing trees and shrubs again.. i don't think i will get a better chance in my lifetime to do it as easy or get in as easy and see everything under foot as i will today. Im very lucky.

I gained permission to prospect a large tenement South of Queenstown. From Lynch's Creek South to the King River and covers Specimen Creek and Miners ridge area. The area i'm targeting is fenced. One assay by prominent Chemist and metallurgist James Cosmo Newbery at the end of the 19th century assayed 221 Oz out of 160 Pounds. The specimen he had on hand was 9.8% gold! The 4000 per ton generally quoted is slightly exaggerated at 12.4% above the actual assay results. Stunning returns and T.B Moore was the second man in and my first goal is to see his claim and workings. Interestingly I left Sabbath / Sunday Creek on Mount Donaldson to end up at Lynch Creek South of Queenstown. Just like Thomas Moore did way back in 1883. Hopefully he left me some Gold.

ratters

Post by ratters » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi Phillip,

That sounds very interesting about the 'Rose Gold' you found, what makes you call it that? Is it the colour, or size and shape? Perhaps it a contains fair percentage of other heavy metals than gold which changes its nature?
You are very fortunate to be in such a great location for prospecting. Good luck out there and thanks for sharing, I look forward to more updates :)

ratters

Philski

Post by Philski » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:02 am

Hi Ratters. I imagine it has a higher copper content to make it that colour. a bit more red in it from the copper i would imagine. i am going back tomorrow and cant find a camera charger, but next week. Hopefully with a bag full of gold would be nice.

Im so excited getting permission from Jaguar to prospect south of Mount Owen to the King river for me is an outstanding result. It backs onto Copper mines of Tasmania claim and historically hosted some very successful claims. The other areas ive done all around town are all on the borders of existing tenements in no mans land on MRT's map or open ERA's, so do it all totally legally almost right in the middle of Queenstown. Ive sampled the area in a circular sweep of Queenstown in a 5 km radius. Very Methodical. And now im about to hit the South. Thats in 3 weeks. I start work in the late afternoon so have all day to play prospecting in some pretty epic countryside. From the spur of Mount Owen south i could see way down the King And Queen convergence and follow it down to the hills behind Macquarie Harbour. Darwin Jukes Sorrell and Huxley all clearly visible. awesome stuff. The other side is even more spectacular with Arrowsmith and Frenchmans cap and the south west in full view. thats why i was a bit excited to get to work down there.

ryangunton1

Post by ryangunton1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:09 pm

hi there philski how is it going with your prospecting in and around queenstown i am down in strahan and looking for someone to show me what to look out for so i might be able to find abit of colour any help would be great

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:56 am

Hi, i left Queenstown already sorry. its A simply Beautiful Place and the people are just awesome. And the geology and formations are seriously off the show. i miss it. I will return one day. When the opportunity arises.

Im at Cradle Mountain lodge at the moment and about to go to Lemonthyme Lodge next week to work and prospect the back of Dolcoath, Daisy Dell and Moina, etc. The bits i havnt done so far. its part of the Fossey mountain Trough and Tabberabberan Orogeny with a bit of exposed Granite at Dolcoath thrown in for good measure. so pretty awesome place too.. Most of the time i'm the first person in with a detector in, so pretty lucky. i found a nice bit of colour today with at Cradle Mountain in the creek that runs through the staff village on the edge of the WHA. with a pan It exists in front of the shop... lol.
suck on that scott Jordan.

I guess you just have to sample lots. I was in the first bit outside the basalt towards Cradle Mountain itself.. so knowing a bit about geology helps or what rock is what. The basalt that runs right through to black jack straight near Moina is barren of gold. Unless some porphyry is exposed in its catchment or later tertiary on it. Some areas like Queenstown have gold everywhere. But, The area has been extensively prospected for all sorts of minerals. Gold is not its richest commodity and its not abundant but it is there.

Old time gold law is to look for rivers that run parallel. Around granite halos a couple of Km out from the pluton and again 6-10km out with copper in between and cassiterite, etc close in towards the core.

as local indicators.

South of Queenstown Jasper and Greenstone are reliable. The Jasper is like a schistose limonite / ochre. brecciated almost and not a vivid red, more like red wine than red cordial. Its a direct indicator to gold in-situ in the area. The prospecting party that discovered gold in the Queenstown area, Cornelius Lynch, Tom Curry and S.J. Lenahan etc sampled the roots of the ferns and mosses because they are good traps for any free gold in the waterways after flood events etc. If the sample comes up with gold, then it a matter of finding the gold run working up stream till it stops or peters out. Others are natural traps. Big boulders both behind and in front of. Crevices and cracks are always worth a look. Inside bends.

Rohan

Post by Rohan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Hello admin. This may be slightly off track but interesting. I was recently told by an old retired stockman about his great uncle who was an old prospector . I believe he was a lawson he had a lease at cradle mountain and one at Jane river. He was robbed of 5000 pounds and gold and murdered this crime I believe was never solved. He said as a boy his uncle would tell him about his diggings . Cradle mountain was good but at Jane river there was always gold in every shovel . All out of bounds now! Cheers Rohan

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:58 am

Hi Rohan the name Lawson dosent ring a bell sorry. Its interesting country for sure. And mostly unexplored with modern detectors etc or sampled and impossible to do now anyway so our own understanding of what lays beneath Tasmania is gone.
The WHA taketh away.

I met one of the franklin river track cutters recently in Queenstown and Kane has pushed into the jane river area. Another local made the point of the Anthony Link road and the breathtaking Tyndall range. Without the recent hydro road we would never see the beauty of this area. We could have had access to the Franklin and upper Gordon rivers and had some no doubt amazing fishing too. And cheaper electricity and excess power for industry. But no. we got or they got a huge portion of our state.

However all is not lost, Check out the newest ERA's
These are recent MRT Exploration release areas (ERA) nudging the WHA. woo hoo,
"directed at Bob Brown" You cant stop the music, nobody can stop the music. da da da dada da da da dada.. prfft. suck a bag full of cocks bob. The greens support mining.

Ouse has Bauxite, Dee Agate, etc. the Fossy Silver and gold and copper and wolfram and berilium and Magnatite. Bismuth is used in medicine da da da dada.

Rohan

Post by Rohan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:37 pm

How much of this great state would be accessible without our pioneers miners loggers trappers stockmen yet many would have this history go away. Rohan

ryangunton1

Post by ryangunton1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:40 pm

thanks for the info philski would it be worth a look in pearl creek just on the main queenstown strahan road i got one of the new gold rush nugget buckets thought i might give it a go have you had a go in that creek????thanks