hi

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

dread

hi

Postby dread » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:45 pm

hey all
as i am new here thought i would say hi i live down Taroona way and would have a go at gold prospecting
i have wanted to do it for years being in south Tas panning seems to be the go
so question as i don't want to travel all way down to cygnet is there anyplace closer to me i have read that snug for example has some deposits
thanks
gabe

Philski

Re: hi

Postby Philski » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi Gabe

My family are from Snug and i asked my nan about the tiers and she said no gold at all up there. She isnt an authoritarian on geology but if there was Gold up there. She would know about it.
i have not sampled the area myself.

The closest known gold to Snug is South of it at Little Oyster Cove creek, about 3 miles west of Kettering.
There are only 2 pre permian aged alluvial areas in the whole district as the majority has been baked or displaced by the Dolerite and then hit with glaciation. West of Snug is permian Grange mudstone.

Geology of the Snug area (pdf)
http://www.tinyurl.com/Snug-Geology-Tasmania

the North Eastern Extremity of a Syenite dyke at Oyster Cove is the site of the gold. The dyke that triggered the gold comes from Cygnet all the way through, tapering off a few miles south of snug.

hope that helps

Kindest regards
Phillip

dread

Postby dread » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:20 pm

hi Phillip
thank you for the information should prove helpfull just thave to find a place to pan 1.5 ks west of kettering
both my nepue and i will be getting our mrt papers soon and will be heading down south first place will be the kettering area do you know if beaches and rivers going in the sea are fair game? really the last thing i want to do is piss off land owners or the MRT or the state goverment

gabe

Philski

Postby Philski » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:43 am

Hi

I check the MRT web map viewer for tenements before i go out.
http://www.tinyurl.com/MRT-tenement-web-map-viewer

Worth checking and is updated daily. your good to go by the look of it.
i dont have maps of private land, the local council should be able to help.

i dont think Petroleum matters to us but need to check mrt to confirm it?

Another area close to you and for something different is Bruny Island. It reputed to contain Pirate Treasure. plundered goodies. Several areas on the island are Nature Reserves and off limits to all prospecting. So you need to check the web map viewer at Mineral Resources Tasmania for areas to hunt.

here is the link to the Little oyster Cove gold deposit
http://www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&p=308826&cmd=sp&lstt=1

bonzle is a great online tool for prospecting and is very accurate if you havent already used it.

http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/portal/page?_ ... ema=PORTAL

Jaime

Postby Jaime » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi Gabe,

I was wondering or you had any luck with gold panning yet ?

I'm a keen prospector from Kingston beach and keen to share information and experiences, I have a connection in Cygnet and have bean finding gold there before.

Trying to find new places in state forest and other areas around Adams field and closer to home.

Cheers, Jaime,

dread

Postby dread » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:32 pm

hi jaime
we were thinking of heading down to cygnet next week (hopefully) if you can help us out with locations we would be more than willing to head down there with you
no no luck yet but its a game of trial and error

Jaime

Postby Jaime » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi Gabe,
Sorry for the late reply, I went to Freycinet all weekend and fairly busy at work,
I'm not sure or I can go this weekend, but surely will give you a buss if I can find the time,

Please send me a Personal massage with you phone no, then I can give you a call if I can make it this weekend or some other time, ;)
cheers,

mids0n

Postby mids0n » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:03 pm

Sorry to rehash an old post but how did anyone here go in finding gold in little oyster cove creek? I did some panning a few weeks ago where the creek goes under the highway and found a nice little nugget of copper! My first nugget of any kind so was pretty stoked. I'll post a pic later when I get home. Philski where abouts does that dyke that you're talking about? And how do you know?