New to the forum

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Googs

New to the forum

Post by Googs » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:10 pm

8-) Hi everyone ,I'm new to this forum ;) I live in the north of the state and have been interested in detecting for some time now :D I have a minelab 5k with little to no use :oops: so I'm interested in meeting like minded people to detect with or discuss detecting even to learn more about this wonderful hobby 8-)

In 12 months or sooner we would like to travel in our van to the main land and do some serious detecting, :D maybe spend a couple of years there , so I have a lot to learn before I set off.
What you don't do today will be there tomorrow.

Philski

Re: New to the forum

Post by Philski » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:09 am

Hi Googs

Very nice to meet you, and thank you for joining. Anytime you want to go out detecting or panning in Tasmania drop us a line. i mostly go to new areas for the historical side. We took home 2 nuggets last time out and a fair bit of fine gold. Not enough to make big money, but some. That was in the North of the state. I dont have any real experience in the North East other than Golconda. So am always happy to go someplace new and compare fields.

There are other members here that go out every single week and i'm sure would be only to happy to help.

I want to go to the Victorian fields (GT) too. Next winter and Spring im thinking. im saving the money at the moment out of the minerals i find here in Tassie. The detector im planing to use is $9500 with coil and mods. It should be a modern deep seeking weapon on the Victorian goldfields and the huge nuggets they get in the Golden Triangle. Many good nuggets coming out of WA too.

have a great day
Phillip

Googs

Post by Googs » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Philski wrote:Hi Googs

I want to go to the Victorian fields (GT) too. Next winter and Spring im thinking. im saving the money at the moment out of the minerals i find here in Tassie. The detector im planing to use is $9500 with coil and mods. It should be a modern deep seeking weapon on the Victorian goldfields and the huge nuggets they get in the Golden Triangle. Many good nuggets coming out of WA too.

have a great day
Phillip
Hi Phillip, that all sound good :o what sort of detector is it you are planing on using? It's right up there in the $ department :) if you ever pass through Carrick you should call in for a chat :D

I will PM you with my address :

Philski

Post by Philski » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi again,

its a gpx 5000 modded with 50 inch carbon coil. detector $6500, Coil $1500, Mod $1500. i will still have another detector on hand, to pinpoint.

Im at Sheffield so pretty close to you and the Hadspen Goldfield... Have you ever had a look there? i have wanted to, but never got around to it yet.

anyway have a great day

Kindest Regards
Phillip

kaner

Post by kaner » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:25 pm

hey phil and googs
the weather not so good for this week, but next week is looking better. i am planning to head out and some company would be great.
googs i have the same machine as you and would be happy to help you out.

happy days

kane

acfish

Post by acfish » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:43 pm

Greetings and welcome Googs,
Phil,
i hope youll have a small dozer with you to clear the trees and dig the holes when you are swinging a 50" coil :D
my have to increase your budget a bit.

For you GPX owners out there, i just got hold of a 8" round mono Detech coil, what sold me was it is waterproof, unlike the commander 8".
Will keep you posted on how it goes in some west coast creeks.

cheers,
AC

Rohan

Post by Rohan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:08 pm

Hello all I noticed prospecting supplies australia have a field strength tester so you can test or compare coils could be interesting. Rohan

Googs

Post by Googs » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:24 pm

kaner wrote:hey phil and googs
the weather not so good for this week, but next week is looking better. i am planning to head out and some company would be great.
googs i have the same machine as you and would be happy to help you out.

happy days

kane
Hey Kane , that sounds great :) what size coil are you swinging? Where are you planing on going too :)

Philski, I'm not aware of any gold fields in or around Hadspan. :o
That sound close and handy for a swing :mrgreen :mrgreen:
I wii do some research now that you have informed me of that :|

kaner

Post by kaner » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:30 pm

hi googs
willing to go any where as long as there is a creek with colour, seem to be having more luck down here with a shovel and a pan. swinging 11 inch mono.
i wouldn't mind checking out mangana mainly hard rock with some alluvial ground good chance of picking up some specimens.
what do you think phil

Philski

Post by Philski » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:08 am

Hi all, historically, its probably the most important Gold field in Tassie. I would love a look that way and happy to spend a day or a week or more.

Hadspen goldfield is in beams hollow. Mr Beams had the first house at Hadspen so i guess its just a matter of looking at the topography to see where the hollow is exactly. Im pretty sure its adjacent to the Olive grove thats there now. Perhaps the Meander council have a record of its exact location. I know its on the Launceston side of town from Hadspen if that helps. i have not looked at it on the ground yet and may even have houses built on it now? the gold that came down the south esk got caught there apparently. They think its tertiary alluvium and some moved further downstream and can today be found in Cataract gorge. cool for you its so close huh.. :)

You can see good Terrace Alluvium West of the South Esk Bridge in the road cutting on the Bass highway. I would guess its part of the same old south esk river system. Be worth shooting a coil over it for sure.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/tasmania/2012/1 ... kyard.html