Hi and nice to meet everyone

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

SamanthaR

Hi and nice to meet everyone

Post by SamanthaR » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi and very nice to meet everyone on here.

I have been a prospecting enthusiast for a little while now and have been reading the forum (great reading too) its got me inspired and am about to get my first metal detector. A garrett or minelab or fisher i think. But still havent found one in my price range with the functions i think i will need. If anyone has any suggestions, would be helpful. i want to find some small gold and i guess mostly coins and relics from around the old mining towns on the north east coast. nothing too expensive, but something that will work under most conditions. and hopefully bring hope a coin or two each trip

thanks in advance
Samantha

Philski

Re: Hi and nice to meet everyone

Post by Philski » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi nice to meet you too :D
I like minelab even though they are not Australian owned any more. Most modern metal detectors all work well from the word go. on coins the gold bug and fisher are good affordable choices. and all will find gold if its large enough and close enough. But in Tasmania, its a lot easier finding very small gold than big.

Have a great day
Phillip

SamanthaR

Post by SamanthaR » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:36 pm

Hello philski
Great, thanks for the reply and sorry it took a while to respond.
i went to nsw last week with a friend of my dads and managed to find some small gold flakes and some really tiny flower gold at Hill End in a gully there. I had help. Are there any other ways to get all the black sands out other than with a pan? i tried a magnet and a kitchen sieve to get the larger lumps out. And picked out what i could. But am still left with more black sand than gold in my bottle. And its so small i cant even pick it out with tweezers. Its not a lot, but means a lot to me. Any help would be very appreciated. i still haven't found a detector i think i like yet. But will keep looking at the brands you suggested this week. i really dont want to spend hundreds on something im not sure i will even use much or only use occasionally or even if its worth it in the end? Perhaps if you know of anyone with a secondhand one they dont use locally that i could lend for a few days to try out?

kind regards
Samantha

ratters

Post by ratters » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:40 am

Hi Samantha,

To remove black sands I use rare earth magnets from old hard drives. If you can source an old or dead hard drive from a computer somewhere just undo all the screws and retrieve the magnets which control the read head.

They are extremely strong and can pinch your skin leaving blood blisters if you arent careful. But they are the final word in black sand removal IMO :) Just use a plastic cup or similar thing which you can put the magnets inside, wave it around in your dish to attract the sands to the bottom of the cup and then when you remove the magnets from inside the cup the sand just falls off. Helps to maybe glue the magnets onto something that fits easily into the bottom of the cup and holds them so they wont attract to each other.

Some places have heavy sands which arent magnetic too, which is always a royal pain..

Cheers and good luck

drystone

Post by drystone » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi Samantha,
If you are mostly relic/coin hunting: I would recommend a Fisher F5 or better (F70-75 if budget allows). I bought one for my wife last year and have found it to be good fun and effective on buried "treasure" around our old property.
If gold prospecting, minelab would be hard to beat for quality or then again a Fisher Gold Pro has good reviews (I don't have any experience personally though)

getting a waterproof coil is also an advantage here in Tassie...

good luck though and welcome to the forum/addiction!!

cheers,
Drystone

cybran

Post by cybran » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:43 pm

hi samantha
i have been panning for a little over a year now and have figured out that the best method for me to remove all of my black sand and yes i mean it all it to use the rocking method when using my pan rather than a circular wave wash which looses alot of fine flour gold. if you are still using this forum and would like me to put a post of this method online for you to see it i am more than happy to. :P