beginners help

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

mick47

beginners help

Post by mick47 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:07 pm

Gday all,
Live near sheffield and basically just wanted to do metal detecting while camping and fishing.I have heard that moina has some prospects but any ideas.
Is their some things i need...licence to use a detector,,permission to go on some sites etc??
ta mick

Philski

Re: beginners help

Post by Philski » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:39 pm

Hi Mick
Nice to meet you and thanks for joining, i live in Sheffield.

You need an annual Tasmanian prospecting licence unless you go to a designated fossicking area you can download and print a copy of the current licence below or visit MRT
http://tinyurl.com/prospecting-licence

They are a staggering $29.20 this year. The most second expensive prospecting licence in Australia with the most restrictive conditions of any state or territory by far. you get 2 years for the same price in half other states and the other half are free..

Moina is awesome but has been worked out again and again and finding a nugget is getting really hard now. the nuggety area is at bell creek (South West side of Bell mountain) there is also gold in the creeks that drain the Sheppard Murphy mine (bismuth creek) but its very fine flour gold.

Other fields in this district are The Wilmot river, Lea river, Firetower Prospect on the Gog, Cethana at the round hill mine. Above Lorinna on Olivers hill, Five Mile Rise and Paloona, just down stream from the Forth and Wilmot river convergence and even a bit in Railton at sunnyside. And, star of the west on Kenzies hill near Beulah.

if you need a hand at all with locations just ask.

have a fantastic day
Phillip

mick47

Post by mick47 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:25 pm

Thanks phil great help...
ta mick

Philski

Post by Philski » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:01 am

HI Mick

I forgot Narrawa Creek and Lake Barrington has a bit of small shotty gold that is associated with Cethana. Its a copper deposit, But carries gold and Cole Creek in Arcacia Hills. Thats local. Out of them all, the most productive was and still is around Moina.

a nice easy one is the bridge this side as you go over to mole creek. The crevices carry gold you can pan. its too small to detect. BUT,, there may be a patch of nuggets if you get further upstream so always worth having a decent look.

There are lots of opportunities in all sorts of minerals other than gold.