Gold prospecting ,hi all new here.

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Dazza

Gold prospecting ,hi all new here.

Post by Dazza » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi everyone,I'm am dazza ,just new to this forum ,been following it now for a wile and thought it was time to join ,I live in the turners beach area and been detecting ,panning for gold here and in the golden triangle for 25 years or more and got nuggets to flour gold in both places, I very much enjoy it and done well at times ,gold prospecting is like fishing if you find some it's a bonus ,it's all about the outing and adventure .if you take it to serious it will do your head in ,love to talk to you all regularly here and catch up with whoever wants to,best luck prospecting to you all ,dazza

Philski

Re: Gold prospecting ,hi all new here.

Post by Philski » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:00 pm

Gday Dazza

Awesome to meet you. If you ever want a day out give us a call. 03 64 911 841

I have been looking at an alluvial gold prospect really close to you, that is very historical (to Tasmania), profitable and under 20km from home for me too. The last couple of months i have been getting permissions from transend and hydro and the like. so all good to go. Its also bound to be built on eventually, so there is no time like the present. Im a full time student and work and have 6 kids :D so, im a bit time challenged sometimes. But always have a bit of time to go dig holes and get a decent bit of shiny stuff.

Thanks for joining too.
have a wonderful day
Phillip

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:48 am

hi phillip,thank you for the invite to that alluvial prospect would love to catch up with you and meet, ill give you a ring on your phone after Easter , i have been following your profile ,did you have a stint at corinna as a chief ? i just built 3 more cabins down there last winter (,plenty of rain,yuck) were camping at a private shack on the edge of lake gardener over easter with all the family ,a bit of panning and fishing ,i read that that prospect was just over the back from there , thank you for your reply on this forum great to be welcomed .hope you and your family has a great and safe easter,will ring you later thanks dazza

Philski

Post by Philski » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:58 pm

Hi Dazza i was a chef at Corinna a few years ago and used to live on lake gardiner/moina. Up at Simon's house. small world sometimes. Im working all week this week. but next im good to go. same too be great to catch up and stuff.

have a fantastic Easter
Phillip

Fox

Post by Fox » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:58 am

G'day everyone and Happy Easter, the Fox here from Exeter. Like Dazza I have been following this
forum for some time & finally decided to sign up a couple of months ago. I have worked in mineral
exploration both in Tassie and the North Island since the late 70's and enjoy prospecting for gold, gems and
minerals in my spare time. Due to the downturn in the Industry there's a lot more spare time than work these
days so would be keen to meet up with like minded people to share experience & info, trips away etc.
I'm surprised that I haven't run into you yet Phillip, as we appear to have covered pretty much of the same ground.
Will be in Fingal area this week so will swing the detector in some of the gullies at the back of Mangana on my days off. I have panned fine gold there in the past but haven't detected there yet. Saw some small nuggets found there back in the 90's so it will be interesting to see what my new Garrett ATX turns up. It has proven to be deadly on small gold down to 0.1gms with the standard 10"x 12" double D search coil!

Cheers, Fox

Philski

Post by Philski » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:16 pm

HI Fox and Dazza and all

We need to organised a day prospecting together. I am about to buy a ground penetrating radar this week hopefully. In fact i will do it tonight. The GPR is to look for holes (cracks and crevices) under the gravels in the bed rock. and are designed to look for openings, Pipes etc. I found a beauty of a crack a good inch wide chock full of nuggets and soft mud last year and am sure the GPR would have picked the open space up. Worth a shot at least. If it works, it will define a straight area to dig and save a lot of time stuffing around on barren or low grade areas. The radars will go down many meters.

The GPX and Xterra both missed the gold in the above case. It was simply found following a crevice that turned into a big crack under the gravels on the shoulder of the stream. The unworked bit. Not to look for the gold directly, but to look for the areas it likes to hide.

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi Phillip ,that sounds out of this world,that GPR,I would love to see that ,were back from moina now ,had a great time ,caught 18 trout and eels ,we were camping right beside the dulcoth,on the edge of the lake beaut camping spot ,Dident do mutch good in the creek the bottom was to deep, to many big rocks ,a big fire and a few beers ,sweet, I'll still ring you one night after work,dazza

Fox

Post by Fox » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:18 pm

GPR sounds like an awesome bit of gear. It would sure save a lot of time and unnecessary
back breaking work. I can think of a few streams which have long stretches of gravel & boulder
coverage with little indication of what lies beneath.
Spent part of today puddling & panning a bucket of wash collected from one of the N.E
goldfields recovering about 0.3 gms of the shiny stuff. Using hot water helps to break the
stubborn clay down & makes the task a bit more pleasant on a cold wet day.
Will be free all next week, so would be up for a day of prospecting if anyone's keen.
Cheers, Fox