day trip to moorina searching for sapphires.

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

cybran

day trip to moorina searching for sapphires.

Post by cybran » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:42 pm

hi all,
my fiance and myself took a road trip to moorina today in the hope of finding a sapphire.
well was i surprised, not only did i find a sapphire i found a variety of different gem stones ranging from clear, pink, orange, and a very red one. if anyone has any knowledge of gem stones i would love some help.

ill try and put a few pictures of them tonight.

Fox

Re: day trip to moorina searching for sapphires.

Post by Fox » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:49 am

G'day Cybran, Fox here. I have visited the Moorina area many times fossicking for sapphires,
these are generally blue, but can also be clear, pale green or parti-coloured [ two colours in one stone ]and bronze
with a silky, sub metallic lustre. The indicator mineral black spinel is very abundant & sapphires & other gems will often be found where it accumulates in natural trap sites in the stream bed.
Also present are Zircons, ranging from clear through pink to red & orange. Being somewhat softer than sapphire, they tend to be more rounded. I have found clear topaz and clear to smoky quartz here too.
Rare green chrysoberyl has been found in the area too, but I have yet to see any.
Back in the 80's I worked for an exploration company prospecting for tin over a large area from Pioneer across to the Blue Tier & down to Weldborough. We used to see a lot of gemstones in our panned concentrates in most of the
streams in the area & on one of our traverses found one SW of Weldborough chockers full of sapphires. Went back with a mate a few years later & do you reckon I could find the spot again?
Hope this is of help to you. Good luck & happy prospecting.
Cheers, Fox

cybran

Post by cybran » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:30 pm

thank you very much fox.

i had a weekend just been with a beautiful faultless 5mm-3mm-3mm strong blue saphire and a rather large 12mm-5mm pale green stone aswell as many smaller blues and a lot of 2mm peices of coloured stones orange brown pink clear.
i am interested in finding a uv light to test clears on the field for diamonds as my research tells me there have been a few found in the derby area over the years.

i would love some company in future prospecting if you are up for it.

any information on other areas i can go that would have been less visited would be amazing.

please pm me with any ideas or locations i could have a go

cybran out

Fox

Post by Fox » Sat May 03, 2014 10:25 pm

G'day cybran,
Sounds like you have been quite successfull so far with your sapphire prospecting.
I have not personally heard of diamonds being found around Derby, but anything is possible.
The Mutual bridge area on the Ringarooma has always produced small sapphires zircons and topaz,
also Main Ck downstream of the bridge. Other spots worth trying are Cascade R, Chung Ck, Swain Ck
and also Wyniford R which also carries a little gold.
I have heard too that green sapphires have been found in Forester R & some of its tributaries to the East
of Mt Stronach near Scottsdale.
In the NW nice red zircons occur with occasional blue sapphires and bronze star sapphires at Sisters Ck -Boat Harbour area and there are reports of sapphires in the Blythe R.
I plan to do a trip to the Derby area in coming weeks, so will let you know close to the time.
Will be happy to have some company.
Cheers, Fox

cybran

Post by cybran » Mon May 05, 2014 2:43 pm

Fantastic please let me know a date and a time and I'll be happy to come. Thanks again for all your informational inside on the subject.