Deaf Prospecting, losing my hearing and adjusting to it.

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Philski

Deaf Prospecting, losing my hearing and adjusting to it.

Post by Philski » Mon May 12, 2014 2:11 pm

HI

i had a bad hearing incident with an amplified metal detector quite a few years ago. i purchased an xt 17000 off a deaf chap down around cygnet with a mega deaf booster thingy on it. and hit the jackpot almost. Slow swing and right in the middle of it. It felt like being zapped with electricity. i had hitting a large late 1800's pick head and instantly lost about 30% of my hearing. It dropped me to my knees it was that bad i thought i was going to pass out. bam. insta-deaf. anyway. the most concerning thing for me is i must miss targets now because of it and always have to have everything at max to compensate and moved to a more indicative metal detector. I also used to be the kid in front of the massive speakers too,,, doof doof doof, AC/DC, ETC. no wonder my ears are toasted now. oops

Alternatives
Amplifiers, simple plug and play, like the super rooster booster above.
hearing aid. el chepo: $6.99 on ebay. quality: lots $$$. Used quality: <$100.
adjustable headphones with inbuilt amp. If they make them?
vibration um,,, ( (( :) )) ) could be worth exploring,,
a more sensitive display? Plug a wire on my tongue? lol, if it worked,, yes.
anything that will improve my search capability in the field.
a Vibra phone would be good, but they dont work with minelab unfortunately

Even having all the bells and whistles on the modern detector do help me without hearing it, like the display. Mostly they don't move on a faint target though. so not really an improvement as such.

Frequency is interesting, small children can hear much higher frequency than adults. So low is the go i guess. But what frequency? I need to book an audiologist and see what my best hearing level is. Or get some gizzmo that rocks my world when i hit a target.
Do any of you wear a hearing aid? or use the plug in amplifier ones? Under chin? Really Big headphones!
any improvement would be welcomed. im not totatlly deaf and still hear plenty. I want to maximise what hearing i have left, while i still have it.

Hearing has its advantages. what we hear is process much faster to our brain, than what we see. Its a faster response. So if i can squeeze a bit more of my hearing out of it, or boost whats left, great.

Kindest Regards
Phillip

edit:
free hearing test
http://www.audioclinic.com.au/

Philski

Re: Deaf Prospecting, losing my hearing and adjusting to it.

Post by Philski » Thu May 22, 2014 2:30 am

i am going to have a go at a set of Minelab branded Koss ur30 headphones with a set of el-cheapo ebay hearing aids ($5 each delivered!) in my ears first. The Koss are great at reducing outside noise and the hearing aid will hopefully enhance any signal i get. It may get interference or reverb. but worth a go at least. i will let you know how it goes when the hearing aids arrive.