Moina Goldfield tomorrow

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Philski

Moina Goldfield tomorrow

Post by Philski » Tue May 20, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi, i have tomorrow off work (Wednesday) and plan to visit the Moina goldfield in the morning for a spot of methodical prospecting and a bit of dry stone wall laying. if anyone would like a day out, i would enjoy the company. Im after a few nuggets and am pretty confident of taking home a few. i can meet anyone at the Moina turnoff at 9:30am. If you have a pick.... or environmentally friendly bulldozer. even better.

im using the large rocks /cobbles in the top of the mullock heap, to lay the dry stone wall in the creek and lowering the area above to go down another 4 inches or so down, ready to detect brand spanking new ground. cool huh. passive prospecting with modern technology in the most productive area of the creek on old tailings dumps. Is that green or what? and hopefully improves the area cosmetically and gets me/you the gold everyone with a metal detector over the years missed scrubbing already done a million times ground. My detector is humming / pinging its guts off. >2 meters on a large object. I spent more on coils and am so happy with it. and the area is productive. and i just know, you know,, and i need some gold, so it must be done.

interestingly doing physics did show me gold with its inherently high coefficient of friction is the reason its so often found up high. Its harder to push off at the same angle of repose. so it sits up top. cool huh

Home number is (03) 64 911 841 i will be leaving sheffield at 9am and home by 2:30 to pick up the kids from school.

if you need a lift just ask.

Weather looks fine early

have a great night
Phillip

kaner

Re: Moina Goldfield tomorrow

Post by kaner » Wed May 21, 2014 3:51 am

Good luck wish i could be there Phill, the last i was there someone had moved some serious pay dirt.
Spose i will just have to settle for the Ballarat fields.
Ive been out highbanking the Creswick area namely Slatey creek for a few colours, although the water situation
or lack there off has been confining the hunt.

kane

Philski

Post by Philski » Wed May 21, 2014 2:44 pm

Hey Kane

I just checked i can get a flight from Launceston to melbourne return for $90. And 4 days car hire $181. Leave Sunday night after work and return Thursday in time for dinner service. Or fly Devonport to Avalon for $700! one way!
3.5 days @ $77 per day

i could get on the boat and hit it monday and return wednesday afternoon. 2.5 days?
$500 for a seat and if i can get a car on @ $200 per day

when you have a bit of free time let me know.

it will take me a couple of weeks to tell the wife. :roll:
yes i saw the new workings, There very impressive. i ment to detect the new areas but haven't had the chance yet. Its a fair bit of dirt to go over.

have a fantastic day
Phillip

ratters

Post by ratters » Wed May 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi Phil, would you mind explaining a bit more what your plan with the dry stone wall is? I can only imagine any walling or damming action to reduce the level below the structure and not above it? Unless your walling the water further into the creek and thus narrowing it?
Good luck with the nuggets though and do post some pics of the results!

loverr

Post by loverr » Wed May 21, 2014 10:27 pm

Damn! i wish i seen this earlier. i had the day off and had nothing on.

Philski

Post by Philski » Thu May 22, 2014 12:19 am

Hi they did the dry stone wall extensively in newell creek below Queenstown. And, in and around the 19 mile workings. It forms a near vertical and narrow dry stone wall for what ever water is available to go though it and reduces the amount of overburden needed to be removed off the top to get to the bottom. It reduces the chance of a side wall collapse and controls the water flow to an extent. but, im only really doing it today to make the creeks look pretty and get a bit deeper up top. MRT are on about no damage so if i can beautify some areas using tailings and forkings the way we did historically and make them safer for all, and built to last a few thousand years. everyone should be happy. Taking material off the top of the mullock heap, give me brand new ground to detect. And, it helps protect the current stream bank from erosion. win win win
bell-creek-goldfield-moina.png
I spoke to MRT today about filling in shafts as well. Some are deadly and even adding a foot or two to the bottom of the hole, may be enough to save someones life. Ive fallen down a shaft twice now and its not nice. Fix it once and fix it forever

i also got permission to use a jack and hand winch on boulders etc. Ive used a jack before, but because your under it jacking up near a ton of rock, it can be quite dangerous and a hand winch would offer me more protection and distance.

i have work 4 on 3 off. but am free to prospect an place state wide. Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
perhaps next week. any of those days your off give us a call or message on here.

night
Phillip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ratters

Post by ratters » Thu May 22, 2014 10:37 am

Sorry Phil I completely misunderstood your intentions, thought you were trying to alter the flow of the creek to expose creek bed for detecting.

Need to get in on this detecting caper I think.

Philski

Post by Philski » Thu May 22, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi Ratters, yes i did that last summer and this winters rains will hopefully clean up the race so we can shoot a coil over it. The creek can be diverted either way in any quantity. dry or wet or inbetween. I reused the original side race between the road and the creek they used to drop bell creek before they put in the cut along packets workings. I sampled some good gold towards the road around a camp not 2 meters from the road. And its only a foot of over burden and rubbish to the top of the gravels. And perhaps another meter to sandstone bedrock. I got the gold out of the top of the gravels. I was thinking of paddocking the area in small 1 meter blocks and back filling as i go to the next square to keep it manageable. But, still need to sink a test hole to the bottom just in case it was a fluke. Someone could have dropped the gold after a hard days work and a few grogs? Anyway, My only test pan had 3 good shotty bits of Gold (match head) and many small specks and glittery flour gold. About 6 inches further down than a gpx 5000 can detect gold that size. It was getting dark so ive filled the hole and gone home happy. It was a ripper of a single pan sample for anyplace.
My plan is using the old side race to take the water to me, and wash the pan on the spot almost. While i wait for the race to clear. Could be years, i dont care. Nature is awesome. Its about as passive as i can get it. im not diverting the entire creek of course just taking a portion of it and that flow re-enters the same creek 20 meters or so downstream. The other side of the road in poverty creek is actually a side race as well. Not Natural. Poverty creek could easily get the same deal as this area later on if its worth while.
using the races to bring on water and paddocking and the like. I need to see if i can use a hose to syphon water to me from the creek as well. having enough fall and you could go anyplace with water in hand and save walking, when i could be panning.

the other option is to send the water back up into the original creek bed towards the west spur.

* you used to be able to dry up Bell creek pretty good for about an hour in summer if the dams 8 inch pipe upstream under the spillway is blocked and wait till the pond fills and spills (this is under lease now) The bottom of the creek i cleaned out years ago with a tooth brush and scraper and all under the spill way up the top, using the dam method above.

*disclaimer* Licencing: The area above is a pre existing heavily turned upside down and polluted mining environment in state forest and i have exploration permission from the current tenement holder. And, i have a Tasmanian Prospecting Licence. MRT's ideal of zero impact prospecting is the same as my ideal. its almost impossible to have zero loss or zero evidence. enthalpy dictates that. The rock slide on Mount Black a few years ago had more rock and soil than every single prospector in Tassie put together turned for the year at least. Mother nature did that. We do bugger all damage and take home rubbish that could have cut some hippies feet. And me digging "rusty relics" saves a greeny getting their toe ring tangled and them starving to death because they cant dare disturb the soil. Its all or nothing sometimes depending on how you interpret or as i do intemperate the licence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.