Gday members

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Burbury

Gday members

Post by Burbury » Sun May 25, 2014 4:50 pm

Hello all, thought it about time I joined the local prospecting forum and get to know a few of you.
I have been following this forum for some time now and would like to be involved in a Tassie perspective ,
I live in Hobart and have done a fair bit of fossicing in the NE for sapphire etc, I have a metal detector ie;Eureka Gold .
about to get a 15" WOT coil to suit to chase gold and as well can access a gpx5000 when my bro gets back from WA.
I have a caravan set up close to Queenstown and love to frolic around that area in search for gold or other minereals
Don't seem to have as much time these days for prospecting as I would like , however I look forward to catching up with some like minded persons and enjoying a bit of prospecting or fossicing . I have done a bit of detecting in the triangle "VIC ".found some small nuggets! and have detected a bit around QUEENSTOWN and MANGANA - MATHINA, Without success so far !. I have a sluice box I have been working on as well. works good but as yet no colour . I am self sufficient and have all the gear necessary to get away for extended periods . anyway that's me ! hope to get to meet up sometime in the future for a fossic or prospect.
Cheers Burbury.

Philski

Re: Gday members

Post by Philski » Mon May 26, 2014 1:49 am

Hello Burbury

Welcome to the forum. And, Thank you very much for joining. We will enjoy your company and extensive experience both here and on the Mainland. i hope to get out and have a look with you one day. i learnt stuff already. thanks. Im busting to go to Victoria myself. I started working out targets this week, mapping and overlays and trying to understand what its like before i go there. Interestingly, if you look at the vegetation mapping in Victoria on Google Earth, the pale green patch in the middle of the Victoria follows the central gold field.
golden-triangle-goldfield-veg.png
I guess everyone in Victoria knows that already, but for me its all new and really exciting. and the shear amounts of data on the state. is seriously awesome. The pale series of ridges near Donolly, Bendigo and Rushworth are i think from the Tabberabberan orogeny. That event was so big, it affected us here in Northern Tasmania by pushing up Black Bluff, Bonds Range and diverting the Mersey River etc. The Veg may be that colour because it was once under the sea at a guess. But, it does not correlate to anything in Tasmania, Unfortunately. Anyway.

Being in Hobart with that machine would be a dream. The last Holley dollar came from down there and sold for $100000. Any, of the proclamation coins are worth good money. Around Sullivans cove, Battery point "Wrest Point" :lol:

have a fantastic week
Phillip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Mon May 26, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi burbury,dazza here ,were do you go prospecting in the mainland ,I go over to maryborough each year for around 3 weeks and stay in the caravan park either there or at donolly ,in January I traded my 4000 in for a 5000 huge difference I came back with 54 nuggets, nothing over 3.5 grams this time ,I love it over there and can't wait till next Chrissy so I can do it again ,once or twice a year is good that way you look forward to it so much more,this trip was my 7th prospecting trip to those areas,best of luck dazza.

Burbury

Post by Burbury » Tue May 27, 2014 6:12 pm

Hey Dazza , yep mostly the same areas as you also Avoca , Stuart Mill , havn't found too much but some small nuggets here
and there , usually stay in the same caravan park as well at Maryborough, as it seems the best in that area but Avoca is ok too.
waiting for my brother to get back from WA to Vic maybe Aug -Sept . then may go back and keep him company for a week or two ?
he got the 5000 but I only have the eureka gold - so we are vlf and pi. the 5000 very good on the small gold with 8in coil but I hear
the Garret ATX is even better on the small stuff eh ! of the hundreds of others watching these Forums I reckon we should get comments on that one !!. anyway don't want to say too much but sussing out an area in Tas I know has had good gold in the past , so maybe a few of us can do a get together in the Spring or Summer exchange ideas and do some field trips or so ?
Cheers .

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Tue May 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi burbury,dazza again ,I was talking to a mate the other day he was looking at the Garrett ATX ,was thinking of getting one over the 5000,in the April edition of the gold & treasure there was an article on the ATX he really talked it up but we later found out that he was the west aus rep ,then we contacted coiltek at maryborough ,they reckon it's a piece of crap," there words,I" seen one while I was there in January very heavy ,I'm pleased I got the 5000, garretts are American made ,minelabs are made here to suet Australian conditions,hope this helps ,dazza

Philski

Post by Philski » Tue May 27, 2014 7:55 pm

HI all

Chris aka fnqchris sent me a link yesterday of his efforts with a Garrett ATX from up in then Palmer river in FNQ last week. The Garret pulled his very first nugget at a decent 5-6 inch depth and match head size nug http://youtu.be/PSuYtRm6g-k?t=50s

Fox has detected 0.05 gram 1/20th gram with his atx.

With the GPX5000 i don't think anything beats it on depth. It can be super sensitive and it will detect similar sized gold. But, its also twice the price second hand and not waterproof or as easy to pack away.

I would get a 5000 when its waterproof and connectable to a computer or smart phone for data logging.

The ATX is going to be my next detector. But, that's more on the price and usability than anything.
http://youtu.be/IZQEubb0LmY

it actually lighter than a GPX5000 (3.18kg) Garrett ATX (3.13kg) Both with batteries.
frequency is Double minelabs at 43800kHz. The higher the zip the more gold responds.

specifications
Garrett ATX: http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/pdfs/g ... lowres.pdf
Minelab: http://www.minelab.com/aus/products/gol ... 0?view=faq

Burbury

Post by Burbury » Tue May 27, 2014 8:21 pm

Nice find , I suppose it's a bit horses for courses - however I agree totally with Dazza the gpx5000 is on it's own for gold and
if one could afford it " the only way to go " but at half the price there is a market for the garret as well .all the gold I have found has been with the 5000 but I had to hire mine , the eureka and the ctx3030 - another of my bro's are extremely good on the coins
and relics and I found a gold ring worth $2000.00 for a mate with the 3030 ! he was wrapped to say the least . ;)

Fox

Post by Fox » Sat May 31, 2014 1:33 pm

G'day all, having read the above posts several times, thought it about time to add my bit. I bought a GPX5000 in July last year and have done a bit of detecting on the mainland while still learning to drive it. This was towards the end of my trip so things were a bit rushed and I didn't find any gold with it, mainly due to inexperience in interpreting its signals.
Back in Tassie I headed out to some local goldfields and had great success in detecting bullets, innumerable shell casings shotgun cartridge bases, boot tacks, nails, bolts, ringpulls, bits of chain and various other rusty iron relics also hot rocks.
I was amazed at the GPX's sensitivity and depth of detection but still no gold. No fault of the detector of course. It just seems that most readily accessible areas in Tassie have been pretty heavily flogged as most places I went to had evidence of both recent and old detector activity. Back home I did some bench testing on various sized bits of gold using the standard 12inch mono coil. Results as follows :
0.1gms - 25mm from coil
0.2gms - 50mm "
1.0gms - 100mm "
3.0gms - 300mm "
Fairly strong signals at these distances becoming faint further away. The shape of the gold makes a difference too. For instance a flat or nuggety piece responded strongly, whereas wiry or spongey gold gave little or no response.
In October once the weather had settled a bit, I headed down to the West Coast to a favourite spot where I had previously found [ by panning ] quite a bit of coarse gold up to 0.3gms. I have been told by a reliable source that a mate of his had found some 1gm slugs in the same area some years previously, however despite my best efforts the 5K didn't net me any gold, just a few relics and trash from the old timers who worked there from the 1880's on.
I then decided to try the Rocky River, which was not too far away and camped at the Whyte R crossing. The Whyte was up a little after recent rain but next morning the level had dropped enough for me to wade across. I followed the exploration track up the ridge then along the old water race, dropping down a steep gully to McGinty's bend, where Tassie's largest nugget was unearthed back in 1883. A mate and I had been crevicing the rocky bed here the previous summer and found a few small nuggets which old James had kindly left for us.
The big challenge with detecting here is the presence of large quantities of banded iron cobbles and boulders, some as big as engine blocks, consisting of magnetite, hematite, pyrite and silica. These give a strong metallic response masking signals from any nuggets which would tend to concentrate in the same areas.
After several hours of fruitless searching along the river bank and old alluvial diggings, I decided to cross the river to try the northern bank and in one undercut section, got a faint signal. It was hard to pinpoint due to interference from ironstone pebbles in amongst the gravel, so I scooped out what I could into my pan and washed it in the river. There in the pan was my first bit of gold found [ albeit indirectly ] with the GPX5000. That 0.3gm piece is all that was there apart from a few small specks and as the gravel was fairly loose, I guess it must have been deposited by the winter floods.
I tried some more likely spots while out west and it was there that I came to realise the limitations of the GPX in Tasmanian conditions. Firstly it is not waterproof. It is fairly bulky and not even when disassembled takes up a lot of room in the waterproof pack that you need to buy to protect it from the elements, leaving not much space for other prospecting gear and personal effects. It's also a little unwieldly in thick scrub or within the confines of a trench or adit. If I had a dollar for every time the battery cord has got caught up in vegetation, I'd be doing all right now.
Even packed away the size of the rucksack needed makes it difficult worming your way through our notorious horizontal scrub.
Don't get me wrong, I think the Minelab GPX is a great machine and I love it, but it's more suited to the wide open spaces and drier country of W.A and Victoria. I am looking forward to unleashing it on some of the Mainland fields later this year.
Back home again towards the end of the year, I became aware of a new detector that had come onto the market - the Garrett ATX which seemed to tick all the boxes for a machine suited to Tasmanian conditions.
After much deliberation and research I decided to bite the bullet and order one, taking delivery in late March.Within 2 weeks I found my first nugget in a bank of untouched alluvial wash about 10cm in. This weighed 0.85gm and was followed a couple of weeks later by ones of 2.6gms, 1.4gms, and 0.75gms plus some smaller pieces. A couple of days later a 0.7gm, 0.5gm and smaller 0.4gms down to 0.05gm or pinhead size. The 12x10 inch double D searchcoil had to be virtually right over these really tiny bits of gold to get a signal but I managed to recover quite a few that size. If I hadn't experienced it myself I would be very sceptical.
Anyway in a one month period I managed to bag 11.6gms of nuggetty gold plus an additional 0.8gms from wash taken home and panned [ I got sick of all the tiny faint signals and threw it all in a bucket ] so needless to say, I'm really rapt with my " piece of crap" LOL . It is extremely versatile, user friendly, waterproof, maneuverable in tight spaces and packable.
Granted it is a little weighty but the provided sling helps and you can always swap arms to give both sides of your upper body a good workout.
The other day I fitted the 20inch elliptical mono coil to the ATX and detected an area I had previously gone over with the GPX5000. It makes the ATX much heavier but boy does it go deep!! I spent quite some time digging promising targets and then trying to locate them. One was a .22 slug down over a foot deep and another was an old square shank nail [ 1870's ] down over 2 feet [60cms ] depth and producing strong signals. Judging signal depth and pinpointing was difficult with the big coil but I guess both will improve as I gain more experience. A Garrett pro pointer would be a worthy addition to my arsenal I reckon.
The 12inch double D works well at the beach too, detecting coins down about 50cms and those damned bobby pins, bottle caps and foil at similar depths.
Well folks I guess that's enough from me for now, best of luck to all,

Regards, Fox

drystone

Post by drystone » Sat May 31, 2014 8:40 pm

hi Fox, thanks for your interesting and informative post!
It is really good to get first hand accounts especially from someone who has both bits of weaponry:
the established Minelab SD/GP series and the "new kid on the block" the Garrett ATX.
having battled some of the west coast jungle with a mate over the years: I can say that there is definitely appeal in having a compact, waterproof, "cordless" detector!
It will be interesting to see when (and for how much $$) the new Minelab "all terrain" clone to the ATX will be released.
Clearly there is a market/need for such a machine and Garrett have got there first, but hopefully the pressure won't cause Minelab to release a half-baked effort as that would damage its quality brand.
time will tell.
Thanks again Fox: your posts are always welcome,
hope to "See you round the ridges"
drystone

Philski

Post by Philski » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:51 am

its a tad under $4000 ($3955)rrp for the new minlab 2020 or something. . minelab is not an Australian owned a company any more, And not a reflection on the company itself or who owns them. But,.,.the last 5 years have beeen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, n