newby

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

golden

newby

Postby golden » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi everyone as stated I'm new to the whole prospecting scene, is there any good spots to start around the hobart area, any good little rivers/streams to start looking in, any info would be greatly appreciated :D .

regards matt

Philski

Re: newby

Postby Philski » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:04 am

Hi Matt Thanks for joining the forum.

There is Gold west of Cygnet in the lower Huon. Agnes Rivulet, Forsters Rivulet, Little Oyster Cove Creek, Nicholls Rivulet and Wheatleys Bay and a small show South South west of Snug near the nicholls River Road. Its notoriously dry down that way so winter or just after decent rains are the best times to look. The next best for Hobart is also south, but other side of the Huon. Esperance River and a reported show in the Lune River.

We also have weekend trips away around the state and your more than welcome to attend any if you get time. Great way to pick things up quick and a meet some really nice people. A lot of us detect but a simple gold pan is an invaluable tool and all you need to get a start.

The Lune River one would be good as you can also look for agates and petrified wood in the area, But, please be mindful its adjacent to the WHA. There are also a couple of designated fossicking areas towards Lune River as a bonus. They may not have any gold in them but are a great way to get the hang of prospecting at minimal expense if that helps. There is also no prospecting allowed within 200 meters of the Hastings cave road centerline. And, on any forested areas with trees under 5 meters tall or 5 years old. Down that way at least..
http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/portal/lune-river
http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/portal/coal-hill

hobart-gold.png
Hobart Gold
hobart-gold.png (52.98 KiB) Viewed 1167 times

Areas in red are known Gold producing areas. There are more, but they are mostly in protected areas to the west now.

Bonzle.com is a good online tool to help find a variety of old mines in the state and MRT of course.

If you like fossils there are stacks on the Derwent itself. And, We have never found a dinosaur bone in Tasmania so you never know your luck down that way. you could be the first to discover one..

hope that helps
Phillip

golden

Postby golden » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:19 pm

Wow that is some info philip and I'm very happy I found this forum, and the trips away sound fantastic, again thank you for your reply and all the info.

Regards matt

Dazza

Postby Dazza » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi Matt and welcom to the forum , here you will read and learn a lot of usefull information, hopefully meeting up with some of the guys and join up from time to time with some field trips hope to catch up with you sometime , happy hunting, dazza.

golden

Postby golden » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:47 am

Thanks dazza I'm looking forward to this new exciting hobby!!!

Burbury

Postby Burbury » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Welcome to the forum Matt, exciting things around the corner mate starting with the panning championships for all comers at Queenstown in Nov , i may be doing a trip to NE in search of gems in the next few weeks so keep an eye on the forum if interested .good to have you aboard and i am sure you will gain heaps of knowledge here as some of the members are very experienced in fossicing and prospecting and always keen to give advice and help .good luck in your pursuits
Cheers Burbury

jimmynails

Postby jimmynails » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:39 am

Morning Philski and others :-)

Just re-read through this old post, and thought I would just ask which rivers have had more success with detectors - as, if it is like NZ many places only show flour gold, and just trying to work out whether taking a pan along might be a better option.
Also, we've just got a 2WD so some places might not be that accessible I'm thinking..

Any assistance would be awesome! Cheers